Pressing aluminum sleeve into aluminum

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I need to know how I need to prep an aluminum sleeve to go into an aluminum pulley. The previous owner of the mill let the bearing wear out the bore. They used a screwdriver on the top to try to capture the bearing. I would have dimpled the inside of the bore to create a tight fit. Too late the bearing ate the bore out. I went to check the part with the old bearing and it's so loose I need to fix it. I made a slug last night to fit the bore (after cleaning up the bore). I planned on using permanent locktite to glue it in, then rebore for the bearing. But now I'm wondering if it will sieze while pressing it in. I think it might. What would you do to prevent it from siezing, or will the locktite act like anti sieze during the press in. Al to Al is usually a bad thing..

Also I think with some of the loctites you can use a much lighter press fit, which should prevent galling.

David

There are bearing tools available that will help you press the sleeve straight. That would be my main concern. That it goes in "square" and not cocked at an angle.
LocTite is not anti seize, Dow Corning makes great metal free Molykote AS for bearings. Did you mill the sleeve? I've only done this type of work for automotive bearings but the principle is the same. Check for concentricty.
Measure the bore, sleeve and bearing. Please let us know how it works out.

Your help will be guesses. You need to give us the interference fit dimensions.

I just did this very thing with the blue 243 removable and yes it acts like an anti-sieze but you only have about 30 seconds before it starts to bond. It bonds in the absence of air. I think the permanent bonds faster though. I would press it in like halfway then apply the juice and finish the press.
MS

Right now I'm at 0.0005+ on the inner plug, relative to the bore. I thought I would polish it to get any machine ridges out b4 I start, and figure I'll lose the 1/2 thou.
I'm a little concerned about adding juice until halfway, because if it galls then I've got a mess on my hands.
I do like the heat/freeze option. That also will hopefully help give me more room for a easy slide.

For aluminum to aluminum I've always used kerosene as a lubricant and a .0005" to .0015" press fit depending on the size. Press as a plug and bore after. Be sure to have enough wall thickness for the sleeve after boring.

For aluminum to aluminum I've always used kerosene as a lubricant and a .0005" to .0015" press fit depending on the size. Press as a plug and bore after. Be sure to have enough wall thickness for the sleeve after boring.

Question that others are probably embarrassed to ask: Does having a .0005" press fit mean that the plug should be .0005" larger than the bore, or visa versa?? I'm still a beginner and have no shame. Thanks, JR49

Back