preferred cutting oils?

Kerosene for aluminum, and usually I cut steel dry. I have mixed luck with cans/brushes, they always call over even with weights and milling cutters eat the hairs of acid brushes.

I'm using kerosene for aluminum.

For steel, I'm mixing 50% kerosene with 50% virgin olive oil. My wife threw out a big can of it when the date expired so it was rescued from the trash. I just have to keep the hounds out of the garage or they'll probably go licking the stuff. (I use it for turning, milling and even cutting with hacksaw)

Viper's Venom on 416 SS Gun barrels and CM threading and chambering is the Cat's Azz, take that to the bank. I prebore the chamber, then take .100 cuts with the finish reamer till I am within .100 of the target headspace number. Then Go to a .050, then .025, till I am in the .005 or less cuts. The Chamber are slick as a hounds tooth.

I simply blow out the chamber with an air hose, then clean the chamber with swab, blow off the oil and metal chips off reamer . I then will dip the reamer in the Vipers Venom, and squirt a tad bit of Vipers Venom in the chamber where the reamer pilot bears.

What is VERY unique about the Vipers Venom is that it is thick enough to stay on the reamer and has fantastic lubricating properties vs just std Sulphur oil that you would get at the Hardware store.

I got my Viper's Venom from this source 724-539-9229 which is the Arthur R. Warner Co.

The Viper's Venom is not super expensive, nor do I work for them.

I have never cut gun barrels, so I don't know if it requires a special cutting oil or not.

On steel I use Oatey cutting oils. They have both clear and dark. I have found that clear seems to work a little better for me. They can be found at most DIY stores like Menards and Home Depot, and they are very reasonably priced.

On aluminum, I use WD40.

View attachment 92420

GG

I use this in the clear. I get it from Amazon as an add on item for $2.77 a quart. I add two or three quarts to every order.

A few months ago I picked up a gallon of Mobilmet 766 cutting oil. With free shipping, it came out to little less than $30. Been using it since. Doesn't smell that bad, much better than the Cooltool II i was using. I haven't used my Coolmist system for a couple of years now on my mill. Not sure if I will go back to it. I may hook it up on my surface grinder.

I also use Tapfree for some drilling and tapping. The new improved Tap Magic is just not as good as the old. I still have a couple cans of the old Tap Magic for emergencies! The tap free is nice and also has a nice pleasant smell to it, too. It does not stain you stuff as some of the others do.

I picked up a couple of these "Spliimaster" from LMS for dabbing cutting oils with. Sure cuts back on the waste of cutting oils!

DSCN2480.JPG

I use this in the clear. I get it from Amazon as an add on item for $2.77 a quart. I add two or three quarts to every order.

I just ordered something else from amazon. Threw one of these in as an add on but it was $3.77 for a pint. I know amazon is all over on their prices but still a good deal.
Dave

I have several of the spillmaster containers. They do work well. You can knock them off the mill table and upside down on the floor and they don't loose a drop.

I just ordered something else from amazon. Threw one of these in as an add on but it was $3.77 for a pint. I know amazon is all over on their prices but still a good deal.
Dave
I'm glad I got a dozen bottles at $2.77 because last time I checked it was almost $30 a quart

I like Castrol Moly-Dee for most things. I used to use Mystic Metal Mover. Before the formula change it was wonderful but the new formula isn't. Just my opinion.
Mystic Metal Mover,can still get original(green can) direct from manufacture,the new stuff(black graphics) was created for the farm/machinist unheated work shop so it would still pour cold.

Back