preferred cutting oils?

Dman1114

Active User
Registered
Hello....

I see u tube videos where they will brush on some oil with an acid brush.....

Curious as to what everyone prefers when machining gun barrels?

I have not done a gun barrel but I use Rocol Ultracut Premium on everything but aluminium. It works very well but has to be wiped off fairly soon after the work is done to avoid staining.

Paul.

We use Texaco sultex Another that works well and easy to obtain is ridgid thread cutting oil.

Vipers Venom in the chamber as well for threading. When cutting the external profile I use Kool Mist.
Dave

I don't do gun barrels, but I like AnchorLube....it's between a paste and a liquid....I guess a runny paste!

For mild steel, 12L14 and 4140 i use Hercules 40220 (it's a lard/sulfur dark oil)
For Aluminum I like Tap Magic or WD40
For Stainless, Anchor Lube is great

I use Tap Magic for nearly everything; I have about given up on water mixed flood coolants, as they are not bio stable, and degrade and cause rusting problems; for my B&S mill, I'm thinking of going to a light cutting oil, and my power hacksaw, a mixture of cutting oil and kerosene (this draws heat away much better than just oil, and is recommended by hacksaw manufacturers) Rather than using an acid brush, I like a 1" natural fiber paint brush, due to the longer bristles that make it less likely for the metal parts to get caught in the cutter.

I use Tap Magic for nearly everything; I have about given up on water mixed flood coolants, as they are not bio stable, and degrade and cause rusting problems; for my B&S mill, I'm thinking of going to a light cutting oil, and my power hacksaw, a mixture of cutting oil and kerosene (this draws heat away much better than just oil, and is recommended by hacksaw manufacturers) Rather than using an acid brush, I like a 1" natural fiber paint brush, due to the longer bristles that make it less likely for the metal parts to get caught in the cutter.

I use TapMagic - All Metals for almost everything. I have some nasty smelling stuff I inherited from a friend that seems to work even better on really hard stuff when turning. Tap Magic also make a formula just for aluminum, but the All Metals works well enough. Better than WD or kerosene. I used tranny fluid for a while on aluminum but the smell got to me. I hated my shop smelling like burnt transmissions all the time. LOL.

I used Soilent Green (Kool Mist) 77 for a while and it NEVER lived up to its brags. With 100% distilled water and high concentrations I still got discoloration on aluminum which I cut a lot of and staining on my table. Anybody want some? I'll sell it cheap. LOL.

On my CNC mills flood systems I've taken to using Trim SC520 and distilled water. They say it will work with lower grade water, but I buy distilled water just to be safe. I get no rust and no discoloration of cut aluminum on either my Hurco mill or my Chinese conversion mill. It does a pretty darn good job, but I still usually use A little brushed on Tap Magic when cutting steels on the mill and turn the flood system off.

I use Tapic Magic for almost everything on the drill press including (eh-hem) power tapping, and I use it on all except the hardest steels on the lathe.

I don't do gun barrels but on most steels I will use either SuperKut or Rapid Tap, both are just a dark sulphur based oil that cool well and provide some lubrication when making threads.

Occassionally on aluminum I will use Rapid Tap but generally WD-40 works well.

Oh, on edit, I do use Castrol Moly-Dee for manual threading procedures.

Last edited:
Back