preferred cutting oils?

1-13-13

Dear Dman1114 :

For a long time for machining steel I have used an emulsion fluid which is mixed with water. There are several brands
listed in supply houses. For aluminum I uses Lard Oil, somewhat hard to find but this is A1. Perhaps if you can contact
an oil distributor the may be able to help.

Any questions feel free to contact me on this web.

Regards,:))

jbollman

Another vote for Tap Magic standard formula I use it for milling, turning, boring and of course tapping. On Aluminum only I use WD40. Castrol Moly-Dee gets my vote for all machining and small taps in tough material.

I have never cut gun barrels, so I don't know if it requires a special cutting oil or not.

On steel I use Oatey cutting oils. They have both clear and dark. I have found that clear seems to work a little better for me. They can be found at most DIY stores like Menards and Home Depot, and they are very reasonably priced.

On aluminum, I use WD40.

cutting oil.jpg

GG

cutting oil.jpg

I like Castrol Moly-Dee for most things. I used to use Mystic Metal Mover. Before the formula change it was wonderful but the new formula isn't. Just my opinion.

That would work well in a flood coolant application, or possibly a no fog mister.

1-13-13

Dear Dman1114 :

For a long time for machining steel I have used an emulsion fluid which is mixed with water. There are several brands
listed in supply houses. For aluminum I uses Lard Oil, somewhat hard to find but this is A1. Perhaps if you can contact
an oil distributor the may be able to help.

Any questions feel free to contact me on this web.

Regards,:))

jbollman
Or, possibly you could render a hog ------

For steel I've been using and old container of Mobil Omicron, It's a multi-purpose oil designed as both a lubricating & cutting oil. Mobil recently replaced it with what it now calls Mobilmet 426. When I eventually finish off this gallon I'm going to switch over Relton rapid tap, as its a chlorinated cutting fluid that should yield a better surface finish. For aluminium, I've just started using Relton A-9 as its about half the price of tap magic and works just as well, if not better.

Gun barrels, no special oil needed. Most are 416R SS and 41xx Chromoly.

Pick up some Oatey dark threading(home depot) oil and Vipers Venom and use the one you like the best. For threading, the Vipers Venom seems to be a tad bit thicker or something in it that clings to the metal better.

Back