Power Hammer Project

Additionally, I can say that most fires in blacksmith shops are not started by the forge, but by sparks from either grinding or hammering the hot steel.
Again Brino, a good tip for all to remember! I like your thinking and powers of observation!

Last edited:
Taken exactly as intended bud! And it's something I'm constantly aware of. Fire extinguisher on hand. ;)

Couple more parts made... getting closer (FINALLY!). Got the clutch/contact-wheel/drive-thingy done with the help of hman and his lathe. Flatfaced both ends of the shaft (3" aluminum round stock), bored a hole for the motor shaft and turned it to diameter. I decided that I wasn't comfortable with the strength of the aluminum for the set screw that secures the key so I punched a hole in the side and ran a threaded steel insert down the hole. Have two set screws so the outer one will lock the inner one.

ClutchDrive2.jpg
Also bored a 1" hole in the other end that will receive a bearing to support and stabilize this contraption.

Made the top pivot that allows the leaf spring to move. Pipe is sched 80 steel, gas pipe. Oil hole in side of pipe.
TopPivot.jpg

Then ground out sides where the axle supports come up.
TopPivotGround.jpg

Minus the support ears being cut and welded on, this is what the spring assembly will look like. Spring was 3 leaf off a Dodge pickup. Took the center leaf out and turned over the bottom leaf... that made the spring pretty flat.
All grade 8 hardware here.

SpringAssembly.jpg

Sorry no updates this week as I've been dealing with a sick pup. My 12 yr old boy just developed Myasthenia Gravis that has paralyzed his throat and left him unable to keep food or water down. I built an incline ramp 4' X 4' and put his bed on it so he doesn't slide off. It has a rise of 1' in 4' of run. This allows gravity to carry the food past his stomach so he can keep it down. It's working and bought him a while longer in comfort but is taking 45 mins to an hour after very small feedings, 5 times a day. He is remaining comfortable and able to keep his food down.

The condition has resulted in "megaesophagus". See here: http://www.vetstreet.com/care/megaesophagus

Still no new work done here though I have a couple pieces being fabbed that should be ready soon.
My son (pup-12 yrs) is still with us though he's having a rough time of it. His last day with us will
be this Thurs afternoon when he will join our Maker. Will be back on project full force after that.
Thanks to all for comments and patience thus far on the hammer thread!

Chris

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
He didn't say man, he said the world. That would include man, dogs, cats, ants, plants...

Not to get all evangelical or anything, but this brings me comfort.

Anyone remember Twilight Zone episode 84, "The Hunt"?

ex_isp I remember that (and quite a few other) Twilight Zones. That is a good one. thanks for the memories.
Sorry to hear about your friend. It's never an easy thing to go through. I have been fortunate to have had two canine
friends that lasted for over 18 years each. Its been 15 years since the last one left us, and hardly a day goes by that
I don't think about some aspect or event that brings her close to me again.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

PS ex_isp ?? not an internet service provider any more??

Back