Power Hammer Project

ex_isp

Registered
Registered
I mentioned in my mini mill thread that I'd soon be building a power hammer.

Few days back, I got the first part. a 1.5 HP motor from our own hman! Was an absolute pleasure meeting and speaking with him! He showed me how he has his X2 mini mill setup, many of his other tools, some of his unique inventions and we chatted and had a good time for several hours! Was a good day!

This morn, I went by a LARGE fabrication shop and spoke with them about purchasing drops from them in the steel sizes I will be needing. Now these folks build skyscrapers! They have mostly stuff that's WAY bigger than I need or can use, but the foreman walked the yard with me and showed me lots of options. Sold me what I needed for 12 cents a pound!!!
Screaming deal!
Got:
2 pieces, 8'4" of 8" X 4" 3/8" wall rectangle tube. 40% more steel than I need. Perfect!
1 piece 4' of 8" X 3" 1/4" wall rectangle tube.
2 coupons of 3/8" plate to be used for gusseting.

That is most of the expensive stuff I'll need and I it was all definitely priced right for my budget. Linkages, round bar and misc stuff will be easy to find. Called all the gas suppliers yesterday looking for a failed test, large O2 or nitrogen cylinder that I could cut the top off and use for the anvil base. They won't sell due to liabilities. Their dead bottles all get cut into small pieces. :( I'll find a different solution for this.

Here's todays catch with the motor from hman.

Steel.jpg

Update! Still needed steel for the anvil pedestal. Was looking for a retired high pressure gas cylinder (O2, nitrogen, helium...) that I could cut the top off of and fill with sand and lead. Called all the gas suppliers in the Phoenix area and was told "NO"! If a cylinder fails it's high pressure test, they MUST destroy it. Can not be resold except in tiny pieces. Bummer.

Neighbor sold me his Grinder and vice stand for $20! 1/2" thick walled pipe with 8" OD. PERFECT!
It's a tad tall at 39" to the top of the lower platform on it, but "have torch, will travel"!

Now just waiting on the blueprints for the hammer with very little left to pickup. Things like rod for the linkages, a truck leaf spring, and the like. Getting there for cheaper and faster than I had hoped for. The Lord is smiling upon me today and I am thankful!

AnvilStand.jpg

Nice project and great find on the steel. Too bad about the cylinders.

A while back I was going to make some knives using automotive spring steel, for my first attempt and got a bunch of free springs from a shop that specializes in auto spring work. They couldn't wait to give it away and wanted me to take more. Apparently they have to pay to have it hauled away. Try one of these places for your springs.

Never did get around to making a knife but will someday. I have waaaaay too many hobbies.

Auto spring steel (5160) is actually what the ABS recommends for the journeyman test, though many use O1 as a second, and 3 or 4 others closely tied for 3rd and 4th...
5160 makes a great blade and is very forgiving in process.

Last edited:
It worked out OK on the cylinder... neighbors solution may even be better as it already has a stable base!

Can't wait to get this thing started and get real progress photos.

Sad aside... Moved here to Phoenix 10 years ago. Got the biggest UHaul truck and loaded it to the top, front to back.
Went and got their biggest trailer and packed it full too. There were 5 or 6 things that I just did not have any room left for,
even in the cab. Among those things left, was my torch, regulators and my own bottles. Just can't even begin to say how many
times I've regretted that.

I am "watching" this thread.
Thanks for bringing us along for the ride!

-brino

If it turned out you need something heavier walled than the pipe you found, hunt the oilfield for a used up adapter sub or something similar. The threads get messed up and there is a limit to how many times they can recut the connection, so in time they get scrapped. You might even find a non-mag material piece. Super expensive new, but still, when they are problematic, like cracks in the threads or something, they too get scrapped. They will be all sizes and wall thickness can be 2 1/2" and up. A little hard to work with if you aren't tooled up for it, but will be very stable.

To bad your not closer to East Texas, I got a large argon bottle I would let you have for the labor to load it. It has the old style heat plug in the top curve, and the gas company said they didn't even want it in the parking lot, much less on the dock!

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

If it turned out you need something heavier walled than the pipe you found, hunt the oilfield for a used up adapter sub or something similar. The threads get messed up and there is a limit to how many times they can recut the connection, so in time they get scrapped. You might even find a non-mag material piece. Super expensive new, but still, when they are problematic, like cracks in the threads or something, they too get scrapped. They will be all sizes and wall thickness can be 2 1/2" and up. A little hard to work with if you aren't tooled up for it, but will be very stable.

Nickel-monel drill collars in 8" dia would certainly do the job without needing to add mass to a hollow tube in the form of sand and lead! Wish it was available here! I think though, that the pipe I got will suffice... it's very stout!

To bad your not closer to East Texas, I got a large argon bottle I would let you have for the labor to load it. It has the old style heat plug in the top curve, and the gas company said they didn't even want it in the parking lot, much less on the dock!

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

I know those old bottles! That would also be perfect! I'd let ya ship it to me and I'd say a very hearty thanks! ;)

Back