Positive posts

Machining work. Big lathe (1,5m), knee milling machine and most of the tooling that goes with the above mentioned. I have built up a few clients over the past 9years after I had a big motor cycle accident in 09'.

Self employed/work at home guy also, so I've been lucky. I did lose a very large blanket PO from one of my larger customers, but I'll survive! Been trying to take care of the honey-do list as well and playing my guitar. This event is a life changer with out a doubt, but I have to believe there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Stay safe!

I'm a quality engineer at a GM car assembly plant in Lansing, MI. I'm 60 and plan on retiring in a couple of years. GM has essentially laid off their salaried manufacturing work force with a 75% paycheck. We are doing fine on my 75% paycheck other than I'm getting VERY used to getting up at 7:00 AM instead of 5:00 AM. Going through A LOT more coffee and Bailey's in the morning. Ah, a taste of retirement. . .

Yes, we are blessed that I work for a company who is paying me 75% to sit home. Not bragging, just how the chips fell for us. I feel for others who aren't as fortunate, we're helping out some family members who weren't as lucky.

Like others, been getting more stuff done around the house than usual. This morning's project is trying to get a Massey 35 tractor started. Replacing the ignition switch this afternoon, need to extend all of the wiring to the switch first as there's like ZERO service loop. Heading out in a couple (need to finish the Bailey's and coffee, er, coffee and Bailey's) to finish wiring in the remote E-stop on my Tormach. Stay safe!

Bruce

My wife and had a nice little argument last night.
She stays at home, won’t go to the store, won’t see any family even ten feet away.
Me, I go to work every day, go to the store and box stores as needed.
”You are exposing me to this virus”.
I was my hands, wear a mask, when I go to the stores. Work is norma, nobody is protecting themselves.
The county we are in, as of yesterday has 16 cases and zero deaths.
But, they aren’t testing people unless you are in the hospita.
Statistically valid = not in my book

I’m an industrial boiler service technician, we’re still pretty busy, quite a bit of hospital work and some gov’t contracts. Working on the road at this time is a true adventure, a large amounts of the hotels are closed and eating, by itself is an adventure.

Last edited:
After buying the house out here (modest manufactured home on a foundation and we own the lot); I was in the middle of interviewing for some very good jobs. Living in Northern Michigan the last 10 years wasn't exactly great for my career but I worked the past five doing WiFi networks for computer conferences, filling in with some remote writing work.

Well, life throws you curve balls sometimes....

But at least I already know how to garden, and bake, and can food, and a whole lot of other things folks are Googling now to try and stay busy. I miss my wife as she is still back in Michigan. It was also a gut punch to have our dog die last month, when I left in January I never thought I wouldn't see her again.

But overall we're doing well. I had a little money saved up and have been able to sell some stuff I needed to get rid of anyway. I'm grateful they extended unemployment insurance to us freelance workers. The events industry was probably the first one hit with major conferences being cancelled. It'll take a long time to come back if ever, our whole business model was based on high density people needing internet connectivity.

But my 89-year-old mom is healthy and enjoying the California sunshine, I've had time to really set-up our home here, and definitely getting more rest, exercise and healthy food. Getting to know the neighbors too:)

John

Not much has changed in my life other than my son doesn’t have school till next year. o_O
I go to work as normal my wife is self employed which is huge because she is able to bring our son to work. Only difference is you can’t do what you want now have to mask up. Being a mechanic I’m use to washing my hands a hundred times a day but now washing two hundred times a day they are soooo dry lots of lotion. Been going to The summer house on weekends to get as far away from population as possible. It’s funny how different life is 150 miles away from city life. Can’t wait for this to be over stay safe!!

After buying the house out here (modest manufactured home on a foundation and we own the lot); I was in the middle of interviewing for some very good jobs. Living in Northern Michigan the last 10 years wasn't exactly great for my career but I worked the past five doing WiFi networks for computer conferences, filling in with some remote writing work.

Well, life throws you curve balls sometimes....

But at least I already know how to garden, and bake, and can food, and a whole lot of other things folks are Googling now to try and stay busy. I miss my wife as she is still back in Michigan. It was also a gut punch to have our dog die last month, when I left in January I never thought I wouldn't see her again.

But overall we're doing well. I had a little money saved up and have been able to sell some stuff I needed to get rid of anyway. I'm grateful they extended unemployment insurance to us freelance workers. The events industry was probably the first one hit with major conferences being cancelled. It'll take a long time to come back if ever, our whole business model was based on high density people needing internet connectivity.

But my 89-year-old mom is healthy and enjoying the California sunshine, I've had time to really set-up our home here, and definitely getting more rest, exercise and healthy food. Getting to know the neighbors too:)

John
Sorry about your dog John.

Back