Polishing a turd or fettling a HF X-Y vise

Thanks chuck!

John, that's great news, glad it helped. Something I'm going to do with the collars is to drill and tap for a set screw opposite the existing one so that it sits flat instead of cocked, which should help a lot. I shouldn't worry too much about preload, as you can get next to no backlash with the collars. As for dials, I'm going to use a couple of those cheap "carbon fiber" 6" calipers. I got one already for the quill and it's surprisingly not crap.

Thanks chuck!

John, that's great news, glad it helped. Something I'm going to do with the collars is to drill and tap for a set screw opposite the existing one so that it sits flat instead of cocked, which should help a lot.

I put a shim made of aluminum flashing in opposite the screw. It helps, but there is still an irritating variation in drag with angular position.

I shouldn't worry too much about preload, as you can get next to no backlash with the collars.

I'm just being a bit obsessive about "doing it right".

As for dials, I'm going to use a couple of those cheap "carbon fiber" 6" calipers. I got one already for the quill and it's surprisingly not crap.

Good idea, but still too pricey for me.

Nice job on the X/Y table! I have one of those but mine is over 20 years old and I had been kicking it around for most of that time.

I just took it apart cleaned,painted,oiled change the jibs to brass and put it back together. But then all I use mine for is a drill press vise.

If you change the jibs to brass it will improve 100%.

Paul

I put a shim made of aluminum flashing in opposite the screw. It helps, but there is still an irritating variation in drag with angular position.

I'm just being a bit obsessive about "doing it right".

Good idea, but still too pricey for me.

I hear you there, I'll let you know if adding a couple of set screws makes any difference. The calipers are $7 each, if that helps, cheap and soft enough that I don't feel sad about cutting them up.

Nice job on the X/Y table! I have one of those but mine is over 20 years old and I had been kicking it around for most of that time.
I just took it apart cleaned,painted,oiled change the jibs to brass and put it back together. But then all I use mine for is a drill press vise.

If you change the jibs to brass it will improve 100%.

Paul

thanks Paul! Good tip on the brass gibs, I've heard that makes a huge difference. I have a couple of long pieces of brass hex rod that might be wide enough, so I'll look into that for my first "milling" job. I lost a bit of gumption over it as I have to fiddle with the lower lead screw nut to get the lead screw straight or it binds, so I spent the weekend working on the collets instead :)

The calipers are $7 each, if that helps, cheap and soft enough that I don't feel sad about cutting them up.

$7 is cheap enough to be interesting. Where did you find them for that? When I looked around the best I saw was $17.

I’ll echo that!!!

thanks chips :) Building back up my mojo to finish this off by working on the lathe..

$7 is cheap enough to be interesting. Where did you find them for that? When I looked around the best I saw was $17.

here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121298616818?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

they're basically the same as the digital tire depth gauges I used on the lathe, just with a longer read strip. It zeroes every time, which is better than another "proper" caliper I have, and remembers it's position when it comes back on, plus the plastic "jaws" will be way easier to cut and drill than the hardened jaws on steel calipers (main reason, other than cheapness, that I got it!). I can't remember the posting time, I usually fire and forget my China orders, then get a pleasant surprise on the dinner table every so often. I wouldn't attempt to use these for any kind of even semi-accurate measuring as the jaws aren't exactly flat or smooth or stiff :) Just ordered a couple more for the vise.

I reciently bought a 4" one on these for a wood working project (dominio's with walnut pips) I didn't expect much for the price but it worked well. I also spent a few hours scraping paint filing and fitting. i wouldn't feel comfortable milling except light cuts in aluminium. for any thing heavyer i would spend the $100. or more for an american tool.

you're right, this is just for light cuts in alu or plastic and even that is only until I'm in the position to get a proper mill (even an X3 would be awesome) after which this would still be really useful just for accurate positioning of drill holes. The no. of times I could have used this while I was working on this was hilarious.

Collets made and vise is mounted. Now I just need to make sure the top surface is perpendicular to the spindle and finish attaching the chip pan and I'll be done (bar a few other fiddles'n'fettles).

thanks chips :) Building back up my mojo to finish this off by working on the lathe..

here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121298616818?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

they're basically the same as the digital tire depth gauges I used on the lathe, just with a longer read strip. It zeroes every time, which is better than another "proper" caliper I have, and remembers it's position when it comes back on, plus the plastic "jaws" will be way easier to cut and drill than the hardened jaws on steel calipers (main reason, other than cheapness, that I got it!). I can't remember the posting time, I usually fire and forget my China orders, then get a pleasant surprise on the dinner table every so often. I wouldn't attempt to use these for any kind of even semi-accurate measuring as the jaws aren't exactly flat or smooth or stiff :) Just ordered a couple more for the vise.

Thank you. After I posted I managed to find some on Ebay for $7 incl shipping and ordered three (after a Chinese fire drill with PayPal and Ebay).

Back