PM932V-PDF Startup

Vise

I had read a few postings on the issue about the 6" being too big. I have seen the Kurt D688 several times and it's a monster indeed. On youtube I did stumble on someone using a D688 on his PM45 but it takes up every inch of space and more. Would never go that route. It's 16.81" long / 8.28" wide / 4.61" height / 1.93" for the hex sticking out. There's the D40 I was looking at (12.34" long / 5.75" wide / 3.485" height / 1.93" hex). I was also looking at the Glacern 5" (14.5" long / 7.625" wide / 4.1" height / 1.8" hex). I do know I need something bigger. I'm not worried about weight as I rarely have to remove the vise, as everything I do needs a vise.

Last edited:
Kurt 3620V Short Body

I finally decided on a Kurt.I always try to support US companies that offer 100% made in the USA products. I was tempted at the 5” Glacern as the 4” Kurt was the same size as the Import I already own. For my work and milling purposes I needed a wider vise and max. jaw opening is not a deal breaker for me as my work pieces are never wider than 1.5” anyways. Vise stays 99% of the time on the mill so weight is also not a factor. I knew about the limitations using a large vise ex. Kurt D688 on the PM-932 as many had already discussed.

The Kurt 3620V short body caught my eye. It’s a 6” vise but the total width is the same as my 4” one as it’s ground square. It’s only 0.600” longer and the height is close to the same as my 4” on the swivel base, which I really haven’t used once. Only the Hex is 2.5x longer and the weight is more than double. I nearly opted for the same reverse model but after making a mockup I noticed the Y travel being to short of a distance so the vise would end up hitting the column of the mill. So that was an easy final decision. I couldn’t have made a better choice. Squaring the vise went easy breezy. What a difference. I could never go back to anything less. The added rigidity, smoothness of operation and quality build are top notch.

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4129.jpg

IMG_4130.jpg

Last edited:
Nice CNC style chuck, never seen that one, sure does look expensive! What is the opening capacity of it?

I have one of those parallel keepers. They're made for a full size 6" vise & I have a 5" vise vise. The ends annoyingly got in the way when turning the vise handle. Wasn't as bad on my 5" but on yours they look really long! I shortened mine & it never gets in the way of my hands now but I don't use it that often anyway.

IMG_8926.jpg

IMG_8926.jpg

IMG_8926.jpg

IMG_8926.jpg

Kurt 3620V Short Body

Nice CNC style chuck, never seen that one, sure does look expensive! What is the opening capacity of it?I have one of those parallel keepers. They're made for a full size 6" vise & I have a 5" vise vise. The ends annoyingly got in the way when turning the vise handle. Wasn't as bad on my 5" but on yours they look really long! I shortened mine & it never gets in the way of my hands now but I don't use it that often anyway.

The jaw opening is 4" with the jaws or 5.5" removed. . After the discounts I ended up paying $650.00. Considering it'll be the last vise I ever need it's a steal in the long run. Buy once, buy for life. You are correct about the length and was going to shorten them one of these days. That little vise handle rocks as it doesn't interfere with the Y handweel.

I got one of those R8 racks you mentioned in your PM-45 thread. I really have to stop looking as you're draining my bank account :))

It's early Christmas around here. :thumbsup2:

IMG_4134.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Kurt 3620V Short Body

I got one of those R8 racks you mentioned in your PM-45 thread. I really have to stop looking as you're draining my bank account :))

It's early Christmas around here. :thumbsup2:

Oh I can certainly help you with that! :secrethandshake:

Img_0512.jpg

And some more of my mill essentials....

Img_0522.jpg

Img_0527.jpg

Img_0512.jpg

Img_0522.jpg

Img_0527.jpg

Img_0512.jpg

Img_0522.jpg

Img_0527.jpg

Img_0512.jpg

Img_0522.jpg

Img_0527.jpg

Ratcheting Wrench

Will, I meant to ask but what brand is the ratcheting wrench you use as I need to get me a few. I notice the Armstrong wrench which I also own and a few Pronto wrenches. Thanks.

BTW, went ahead and trimmed the parallel keeper. Much better.

IMG_4135.jpg

Time to close shop and open myself a cold one. :drink:

Last edited:
Nice! Looks much better now. :thumbzup:

The ratchet wrench (straight ends) is just one by Gearwrench, 17x19mm. I got that one specifically to use with the draw bar I made that has 17mm & 19mm nuts on it. I use that Nupla handleless hammer for breaking the drawbar free.

I got that Armstrong wrench (offset ends) specifcally for mill use also, good to see they are still made in the US even though they are part of the Apex group now. My combo wrenches are all Matco & I didn't want to keep two of them away from the entire set. 3/4" end for my vise, super spacer, & tailstock. 7/8" end to use with my clamping kit. My clamping kit nuts are actually 22mm (slightly smaller than 7/8") but I'm probably going to get a TECO set later which comes with 7/8" nuts.

If you don't have a spline wrench already for the spindle I highly recommend the Luminar spline wrench. I never used to use a spindle wrench much at all but for heavier milling I always use it.

If you don't have a spline wrench already for the spindle I highly recommend the Luminar spline wrench. I never used to use a spindle wrench much at all but for heavier milling I always use it.

Since I have the variable speed version my spline doesn't stick out like yours but sits flush with the top cover. I can only tighten or make use of both flange nuts from the drawbar. I could remove the cover but it's too cumbersome.

Last edited:
Ah I see, same result. Yup, that's one of the reasons why I made the replacement drawbar with the double nut design like the stock one but that was before I knew about using spline wrenches.

Re: Kurt 3620V Short Body

I finally decided on a Kurt.I always try to support US companies that offer 100% made in the USA products.

Another option for those who want a smaller vise is the Mini-magnum 5" vice, also made in USA. Also a very fine quality vise. This is the vise that Tormach relabels and sells (for a decent price.... except for shipping). You can also find it at places like penntoolco.com.

machinevise-big.jpg
http://www.conquestind.com/mini_mag.php

The nice thing about this vise is that it is much more compact than the Kurt DS-50 5" (which isn't made anymore)... and is similar dimensions as the Kurt DS40, but opens wider (and obviously has 5" jaws instead of 4").

machinevise-big.jpg

Back