PM932V-PDF Startup

Haven't been able to remove any chips yet as I'm waiting for a replacement drawbar from Matt and have no clue when it will arrive either.

So have been mostly exploring and staring at the mill. Tramming went fine and the vise is square too. Was able to make the down feed work however sometimes pulling the handles to the right makes it stick perfectly other times I need to fight it to make it stick and stay put. Same with the fine feed. It either goes smoothly or I spend several minutes cursing trying to make it work. Very erratic. The tap function is still a mystery to me. Can't seem to find a way to make it work. I can’t find the travel dog that’s listed in the manual. The picture in the manual shows the travel dog just next to the spindle stroke dial. The tapping function should reverse automatically when it hit the desired depth. Nothing so far. :thinking:

Last edited:
I finally found the time to install the led ring light. Thanks to Will and his detailed explanation to get everything up and running was much appreciated. It was so easy even a caveman can do it. Super happy with the outcome. Also ended up finding excellent knurled hand knobs to replace the flimsy horrible ones that came with the mill. Fast and easy secure. Couldn't be happier.

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-5.jpg

image-6.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome, looking good! :thumbzup:

Nice, those are mods I need to do as well.

Got specs on those thumb screws?

I was also wondering about the tapping functionality, so I spoke to Matt. Apparently the tapping feature is an extra option that ares doesn't come with, despite the fact that they gave us the Milll/Drill - Off - Tap switch. That is why it doesn't reverse and there isn't a travel dog like the manual shows.

Thumb Head Screws

The metric knurled thumb head screws are sized M8 1.25. The ones I got are 51 mm length from Morton Machine Works. They really work nice.
As to the tapping function. I figured so much as I had eventually given up on making it work.

Way Cover

Love the holidays. Plenty of time to work on stuff I can't do otherwise. Besides the LED angel eye this was another mod I found personally necessary to do.
Got some 1/16" Neoprene rubber on e-bay to protect the ways. There's plenty that offer rubber. Does make cleaning up after milling so much easier. Very happy with the outcome.
Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking mill!

If I get busy making parts 'runs'... will want a 932, to do a CNC conversion on... or get one of Matt's CNC models.

PM932V-PDF

For my needs I couldn't have made a better choice. I was looking at the 935 but it's overkill for my needs + nearly double the cost after adding all the mill options. A Kurt vise is next on my list.

Last edited:
Re: PM932V-PDF

For my needs I couldn't have made a better choice. I was looking at the 935 but it's overkill for my needs + nearly double the cost after adding all the mill options. A Kurt vise is next on my list.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/6999cb1a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/6999cb1a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/6999cb1a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Look into Glacern vise as well. They have a black November/Black Friday sale going on now and you can get a good deal. I'm very pleased with my 4" and I'm sure that quality carries over to the 6".

I'm going to be setting one of these up in the next few weeks for a high school robotics team so I'm thankful to see the mods you've done already.

Re: PM932V-PDF

A Kurt vise is next on my list.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/6999cb1a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/6999cb1a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/6999cb1a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

If your looking at a 6" I would strongly recommend looking at it's specs before making that purchase. That's a pretty big vise for a RF-145 style mill. I have a Glacern 5" & it's boderline too big for my PM-45. Although I would love to have a 6" Kurt or 6" Glacern Premium vise, they are overkill on this size mill, plus heavy to lug around. I swap my vise for my SS quite often & the 5" is a great size IMO, I'm very happy with it. Some say a 4" vise is more appropriate for this size mill, Matt included a 4" with my mill but I like the 5" much more. But if you are planning for a BP/clone upgrade in the near future then a 6" might be worth it.

Back