PM1030 tripping breakers on startup

No GFI on any of the circuits in question.

I thought start/run caps for ac motors only?

Do you have a clamp on amp meter with peak reading. If so clamp it on and see what your starting surge is.
Give the machine a spin by hand and see if something feels tight. Being tight will make a bigger startup surge.

I wish I did - my clamp on meter doesn't peak hold. When I was adding the circuit I did do some quick checking and never saw anything even approaching double digits no matter how I started up. It is possible there was a spike I couldn't see. I'll try again and attempt to get it to trip.

When I put in my Bridgeport it would blow breakers, changed them out, etc

turns out the brake was on and the spindle couldn’t move. That blew the breakers.

try to move the spindle by hand and see if it is free.

The spindle does rotate by hand. I spin it by hand when I am threading sometimes. I don't know how free is free enough but it doesn't take much effort.

The spindle does rotate by hand. I spin it by hand when I am threading sometimes. I don't know how free is free enough but it doesn't take much effort.

What about today since the change? You used to spin it by hand when threading when the machine was running but what about today?

If you can spin it by hand then it is not bound so little effort normal.

Belaboring the point a little but something may have changed since there is a problem. Does anyone else touch he machine that may have changed something?

May not be the problem with yours today but worth posting for the next people over the years that will search the subject...

Another thing to add the previous owner who bought the machine New said he had an issue where the lathe would not exceed 750 RPM. PM sent him a new control board which is presently installed and cured that problem. The fact that I am having this issue makes me wonder if the control board design or manufacture in general was problematic or if anyone else had intermittent issues like either of the above

Go ahead and contact PM and see what they say about the issue. They have great support and might as well involve the experts. Since they provided parts before be sure to email the serial number too.

I did call PM today they are barking up a similar tree - asked me to test to see if the tripping happens only if I start the machine with the pot above minimum and to remove the belt to see if the problem goes away. Will give those steps a shot tonight.

To paint a picture this is just me in my garage. No one else uses the machine. I know the breaker box and garage circuits very intimately, run heaps of 120v, 240v equipment both hard wired and plug loads so I have a high degree of confidence in the wiring. The machine is new to me with a history of control board issues, to say nothing of the fact I presumed the belt tension and spindle lubrication are okay as-is.

I am sure that PM wants you to remove the belt to determine if you have an electrical / motor issue or a mechanical issue. The drive belt is what ties the 2 systems together.

Back