PM1030 tripping breakers on startup

@7milesup PM changed the 1022. I asked because I noted Blondihacks 1022 will start up at any speed. The new ones, you can engage the start switch, but the motor will not turn until you return the speed knob to zero.

Ahhh. Ok. Interesting. Thanks for the update.

No both breakers / receptacles are conventional and new. Breakers are GE to match the panel.
Am I missing something, why 2 breakers for a single phase 20 amp circuit?
CH

Am I missing something, why 2 breakers for a single phase 20 amp circuit?
CH
I think he meant that he has two circuits and both of them are new. Not that he has two circuit breakers on one line.

A couple of general possibilities to consider.
First, if your "GFI" has an arc fault interrupter (a code requirement in some areas) and your DC motor produces a spark on start up it will trip the breaker.
Next, you can sometimes get a faulty GFI right out of the box. Inexpensive (bargain) GFI's can be trouble. If you can swith it out with another make/model you may find a solution.

Don’t you only need a GFI circuit if you using flood coolant on the lathe? A dry circuit has no need of a GFI unless you have your lathe in the kitchen or bath room. You don’t even need a GFI if your using a fog buster to cool you tool. Just install plain old 20 amp breakers no need for GFIs. Did you get the breakers at Lows or The Depot? Are they Chinesium breakers? Have you plugged the lathe back into the old circuit to see if it the lathe is tripping those breakers? If you have a DVM check for shorts and voltages.
CH

Hi guys yes I am confirming I tried this machine on two separate circuits both of which I installed myself. One used a new 15 amp breaker the other used a new 20 amp breaker. I have wired many many circuits including 240 V for motors over 2 hp and have never had one single false trip ever.

I am starting to think this problem only happens when I start the machine with the pot turned above minimum. While the controls regime means the spindle will never rotate whatsoever under this startup condition I don’t know whats happening ‘behind the scene.’ Could there be some sort of current rush and brake that would cause a strange reaction at the breaker?

Because of how the machine is installed it’s difficult to get great access to the back but I did remove the panel removed and reinstalled all the connections to the control board and checked the rest, snugged them where I could. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary I did not see any signs of arcing.

Another thing to add the previous owner who bought the machine New said he had an issue where the lathe would not exceed 750 RPM. PM sent him a new control board which is presently installed and cured that problem. The fact that I am having this issue makes me wonder if the control board design or manufacture in general was problematic or if anyone else had intermittent issues like either of the above

If you checked all your connections looking for loose ones....perhaps it's you start capacitor (I believe that has a start and a run capacitor) Being that you must start in the lowest switch position... Maybe I missed it, if you run this on a circuit that doesn't have a GFI, this no longer trips? Heck, I replaced my spindle bearings and used a little too much grease, that was causing tripping until I immediately took it back apart and removed some. I have a GFI in the garage I don't go near anymore as my wife tends to pop in from her bathroom...the woes of home shops... : (

Back