Pm 935 Tv Ordered

oldhank60

Registered
Registered
I have placed order for my PM 935 TV , its 8-12 weeks out, be hard to wait that long but I can survive it if my 1340GT would arrive soon, its said to be at the docks waiting to be unloaded. then add 1-2 wks. for me to go pick up, I have to schedule a vacation day few weeks out just to have my position covered.

I went with the variable speed model so I can save time when going from one job or process to the next, did not want to rewire whole machine as I will need to do with 1340gt. I will need to ask more questions on hooking up the Hitachi VFD . it worries me that I must take out factory wiring to complete hook up of VFD.. what if I don't get it right and thencant figure out how to get original wiring back installed?

Can I use lathe as is just by running feed through the VFD to 3ph motor a is. then maybe do the rest of the variable speed wiring at later time?

what if I don't get it right and thencant figure out how to get original wiring back installed?

Pictures; Lots of pictures!
That's what I use whenever I'm going into some unknown tear-down. Often I never use them, but a couple times...wow it saved my a$$.
-brino

Contrats on the 935 purchase! :)

I'm afraid you can half-arsed this. The factory controls won't work if you bypass them by wiring the motor directly to the VFD. If you do that then only the VFD can control the motor. Hope that makes sense.

Doing the VFD 3 phase change over on my lathe, was a great learning experience. now if something goes wrong i can fix it.

If something went screwy with the factory wiring i wouldn't know the first place to start looking.

GO for it YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

wish I had wiring diagram for the 1340gt and the PM935, it would make it easier to figure out ahead of time what I need to do.

OK with the 1340gt using a VFD there has to be a main hook up(feed) on the lathe for power, will this allow me to run lathe or do I also need to have a single phase line going in to power up any contacts. does any one have factory wiring diagram they could post in pfd.? or photos of wiring the 1340 gt and the pm935vt

I think there is a great need to have the manuals for all the PM machines on line in pdf. I will be taking a mass amount of photo's to keep my self out of trouble while hooking up the 1340GT I should not have much to do getting the 935vt wired since it is already variable speed .

Hank

There are a few different ones floating around in various post in this pm forum..

I'm sure someone will chime in with a diagram for u.

Mine wasn't a 1340gt but it was a g4003g.

I completely gutted all the electronics .
In mine the only thing I kept was the rocker fwd reverse switch.

I wanted it as close to factory as possible.

I did have a lot of help from a fellow member on here.

At first it seemed overwelming but once I jumped into it it went smooth.

I have found diagram for installing the VFD I have but nothing showing factory wiring as of yet

I have placed some an updated schematic and programing information in your PM1340GT thread. The factory schematic for the PM1340GT is not needed, because everything is replaced for the most part. You only use the spindle direction switch, its wires, and the terminal strip in the control box (and possibly the transformer if you use it for the 24V light). You wire the VFD directly to incoming power, some individuals use a power disconnect in the VFD box and cartridge fuse or a 30A DIN breaker.
PM1340GT Main Board.jpg

I have placed some an updated schematic and programing information in your PM1340GT thread. The factory schematic for the PM1340GT is not needed, because everything is replaced for the most part. You only use the spindle direction switch, its wires, and the terminal strip in the control box (and possibly the transformer if you use it for the 24V light). You wire the VFD directly to incoming power, some individuals use a power disconnect in the VFD box and cartridge fuse or a 30A DIN breaker.
View attachment 105485
Thank You
OK how do I wire up the 1340 to a VFD just so I have 3ph power and run it as it comes in the crate. let say I dont want to add anything except power and use the lathe as factory designed?

Last edited:
Congrats on both your PM1340GT and your PM935TV. I have both and may be a bit biased.:)

Take the recommendations from above, do NOT wire in your lathe by the main power input from your VFD. The VFD outputs should go directly to the motor and the motor only. Then you can use the controls on the VFD to control the lathe for testing (or even routinely if you wanted to stop there) but I recommend wiring in the auxiliary controls and tying them back to the VFD as "external inputs".

It is quite simple to do but does take some time.

Again, congrats on the machines. I hope you are as happy with yours as I have been with mine for the past year.

Mike.

Back