Pm 935 Tv Ordered

Congrats on both your PM1340GT and your PM935TV. I have both and may be a bit biased.:)

Take the recommendations from above, do NOT wire in your lathe by the main power input from your VFD. The VFD outputs should go directly to the motor and the motor only. Then you can use the controls on the VFD to control the lathe for testing (or even routinely if you wanted to stop there) but I recommend wiring in the auxiliary controls and tying them back to the VFD as "external inputs".

It is quite simple to do but does take some time.

Again, congrats on the machines. I hope you are as happy with yours as I have been with mine for the past year.

Mike.
thanks Mike I will be following the diagrams to get everything wired up, I will be asking question here I sure of. I dont think I will be able to get it wired over night

I am counting on both machines to help me get out of back logged gun repair I have waiting. Customers know I am waiting on new machines so they are not pressing for quick work. its a plus in a sad way , I am only person I know of who will do gunsmithing in my area, The other gunsmiths unfortunately have passed on leaving only me, I am not a spring chicken my self at 60 I may get another 10 years before I retire, I do have plans to pass it all on to my son

How do you wire up a 3ph PM-935TV to a VFD. it is already varible speed, can I wire it directly to main hook up location and run it or do I need to tear out a bunch of wiring on it also.
I had originaly wanted to get the 935 in single phase but worried I would get effect milling in the same way single phase does while running a lathe, of course I have never made a part on mill that did not show the swirl or path of mill tool, they all leave their own special print

Hank, I'm no expert on VFDs, but using the VFD to only create 3ph is sort of like buying an automatic dishwasher and using it as a drying rack. The mill looks to be way easier to set up than the lathe. I have the step pulley 935, and there isn't really much wiring to remove. The options you have are definitely worth the effort.

The wiring from a power source went into the switch and out to the motor, so I removed the switch and mounted my control box in its place. You simply run power to the VFD (I placed a switch before it), then to the motor. The control box wiring (I used sprinkler wire from HD) goes to the VFD, and that's it. Well, coolant and the 220v light are powered prior to the VFD, but that's easy.

I feel the difficult part is choosing your programming parameters, but that's not too hard if you know what you are after. I don't know how helpful this is, but this was the baseline programming Matt provided:
F001 60.00
F002 2.00
A001 01
A002 01
B037 01
B031 10
B091 01

You should be up and running in a few hours.

-Ryan

but what do I need to program on the 935 Tv if its already a variable speed ? anything that is single phase will not need a vfd. I can see adding a vfd to a step pulley system bit not varible speed which is why most use the vfd. or am I missing something. that get me back to not know how and what is wired on the 935. Is there a benifit for me to have the 3ph motor other than it does not cost extra?

Side note: every large piece of equipment in my shop has its own disconnect. Power is feed from a 200amp panel, via a 30 amp breaker to a non fused disconnect then to the equipment it runs . when I am done operating lathe or mill or anything else that is take 30 amp breaker or larger have the disconnect thrown to off position when not being used, except the hot tub which is powerd 24/7/365 at 102F works great for those of us cursed with rheumatoid arthritis and plain sucks with a temporary ostomy bag. ( to be removed /reversed 08/03/2015

The 935TV mill comes with a VFD, BUT you need to order it with a single phase VFD, which is extra (for some reason). Otherwise you will need an RPC to power the VFD, which is a waste of money. The mill motor is 3 phase by default, usually there are 2 or 3 speed ranges. So make sure this is what you ordered. It should be turnkey when you get it, no modifications (at least not the electrical). Many other people that ordered the 935TS (pulley) version because that was all that was available and they added a VFD.
The specifications for the PM935 is here: http://www.machinetoolonline.com/files/PM-935SPM-935V_Quote_Updated_2-12-14.pdf

I use a 30A breaker (D-Type) for my 2HP machines, and each has a power disconnect at the machine. I ran a 100A circuit/sub panel to the garage and each machine has its own dedicated circuit. The 1340GT does not come with a power disconnect or a breaker (cartridge fuse), many individuals when doing the VFD conversion add these. You might clear up some of your questions with Matt at QMT as to what is needed/recommended and what is being sent.

A single phase VFD is more expensive than a three phase one for the same horsepower because it requires larger, more expensive parts in the power supply.

I am well aware of the difference and that there is an upcharge, my point is that the difference between a single phase and three phase VFD at the 2HP level, should be nominal, not $299.

I am well aware of the difference and that there is an upcharge, my point is that the difference between a single phase and three phase VFD at the 2HP level, should be nominal, not $299.
That does seem excessive.

OK The PM-935 TV is now coming with single phase motor and should be ready to apply power from disconnect as soon as it arrive at QMT . I go pick it up, hual it home and set up in garage/shop
My garage has its own 200 amp service with lots of room in panel to add more double amp breakers , 40 breaker panel with maybe 16 used .

I hope you mean single phase VFD with a 3 phase motor, unless this is a vari-speed type of mechanical system. I would use a breaker in accordance with the manual, I would think a 30A or 32A would be sufficient for this size motor.

Back