Pm-25mv - Took The Plunge.

image.jpeg

#love

The pictures looks like I milled off the logo due to lighting - at least up to this point the vise has no apprentice marks.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

For anyone curious - I was using a 1/2 inch 4 flute roughing end mil with a TIALN coating - with a DOC of .3" at 1200 rpm. I'm not a machinist - but this worked beautifully on the PM-25 on 1018 CR steel. This makes me unbelievably happy. I probably always played it ultra conservative while I was learning on the BP 16 years ago, but I'm happy to take my time - far exceeding my expectations so far. Not production speed but when everything you make is a "prototype" - this thing rocks.

thr HHIP arrived today (didn't I order them last night?) looks like a great set! The t nuts look like they will work fine - however I will continue to fabricate a matching pair of precision T nuts designed for this table.

I'd use 3/8-16 since that is the standard thread for clamping sets. You can also get 3/8-16 threaded rod at Home Depot in a pinch if you need some custom height clamping setups.

Yeah threaded rod comes in handy for a bit of extra reach on an odd clamping situation.

Also for my self I've found it very handy to have Tee nuts with a range of threads for using smaller toe clamps that I have made and for fixing parts down through holes in the part, so I have 1/2" Tee nuts with M6 M8 M10 and M12 threads, come in quite handy. :)

Stuart

Went with the 3/8x16 - much better than how I had the vise mounted before, although the washers I used are a tad too large.

By how much did you end up raising you mill with the base you were making ? Today I am welding on leveler legs to my base I built, I can weld them so it raises the PM940 anywhere from a min of 1.5" or up to 3" depending on how I do it. How much do people generally raise PM25,45,932,940 mills ? I am only 5'9" . Thanks much

My base raised my PM-45 by 6 1/4 inches, table height is now 41 inches. Helps to limit bending over and prevent back pain when running mill. Highly recommend you get table as high as possible, it will make working with your mill much more enjoyable.
Base Height.JPG
Table Height.JPG

My base raised my PM-45 by 6 1/4 inches, table height is now 41 inches. Helps to limit bending over and prevent back pain when running mill. Highly recommend you get table as high as possible, it will make working with your mill much more enjoyable.
Thank you ! How tall are you , i'm only 5'9" ...I can flip the parts over and get about 5-6" of raise , just don't want to raise it 6" if that's what works for a 6 foot tall guy .
Again, thanks much for responding, I appreciate it !

Back