PM 1340GT max spindle RPM with VFD

Thanks, that's good to know. 2000 rpm is plenty for my application.

Thanks for the reply. I am new to this forum. Actually I am new to forums in general. How may I contact MKSJ? By the way, extraordinary work on your 1340GT set up. Very inspiring. Hope I can come even close to something like that.
Click on his name “mkjs” in his post above and you can “start conversation” which will be a private exchange.

David, would you be willing to share the dimension you settled on of your 1340GT stand, length, depth height etc.? I haven't taken deliver on my machine yet and wanted to get started.
David Paulson

I post most of my shop project details on Flickr, including dimensioned drawings on most items. The link to the the complete archive is here.

The link to the lathe stand specifically is here. If I were to do the lathe stand again, I would increase the height of the slot for the removable chip pan by ½-inch, otherwise very happy with the design.

Sing out if you have questions.

Awesome work!!! By the way did you purchase your 1340GT as 1ph or 3ph before you upgraded it?

Thanks. I bought the 3-phase 1340GT. I sold the original motor on CL when I bought and installed the vector rated replacement. I think I got $75 for the original motor.

Dave where did you buy the motor and vdf from I'm looking at doing a upgrade to a 1236t

I wish I had that shop it is a Beautiful job And well planned

Thanks. It’s David BTW. Dave is my dad. I bought the VFD from Precision Matthews. The motor was NOS on eBay. They are hard to find at reasonable price.

David,

With your stand and adjustable feet, what is the spindle center height of your 1340GT?'

Nez

Last edited:
The bottom of the stand legs are 2⅜” off the floor by virtue of the leveling feet. The CL of the spindle is 49½” above the finished floor, which for me (5’-11”) is a comfortable working height. Keep in mind that this stand was designed around the particular tool storage cabinets I had on hand. The two cabinets on both ends are 23½” high and 21” deep. Finding low-boy tool chests like that which are also over 16” deep and don’t have a flip-up top lid with tons of wasted top storage is challenging today, and it’s the height of the chosen cabinet that drives the spindle CL height. The center cabinet consists of two of these nightstands with the legs cut off, stacked and tack welded together - they are surprisingly functional. I detest cabinets down low with door access, so coming up with all drawer storage and a removable chip pan were the aspects that drove this design. I have been extremely pleased with this design.

Back