PM 1236 Sheave Mod

Re: PM 1236 Sheave Mod and Dog Clutch from Hi/Lo range

I came up with a slightly better idea then what I originally had, during the day, borrowed from the dog clutch people. If I was to make new motor pulley that has a seperation of about 3/8 to 1/2" and do the same, but in two seperate and running on bearing, at the top countershaft pulley, I can insert a dog clutch between them on the countershaft. A simple push/pull knob to engage either pulley and away you go. Low or High speed and with a VFD you do not have to run the HZ too far from 60, maybe from 30 to 90 or even tighter. I have not sat down to figure the ratios.
Pierre

dog clutch.jpg

Great minds think alike?... Looks like two ways of skinning a cat.

You know, I just might build this thing on the side and install it one day.

Thanks for the sketch, I copied it and will review it. Another project to add to the list.
Pierre

Well, I looked over the belt drive on my lathe and it is not possible using a dog clutch as I had envisioned it. The motor shaft is too short, only 2 1/2" long X 3/4" OD. The pulley is 2" and 3 3/8" OD. Unless I make a sleeve to extend the motor shaft it is just not doable. On the countershaft the matching pulley is pinched between the cam to tension the belt and the middle support of the countershaft.
I will have to revisit the original idea of two tensioners, one for each belt.

If anybody is interested I did make up a DWG of what I was thinking of. Should I post it but maybe under it own topic?
Pierre

Yes, it is a sticky wicket but figured-out a way to do it w/o needing to change the top sheave in the gearhead. I'd consider a slight deviation on the method I posted earlier but, the center dog-shaft would have two dogs. One drive pulley would be engaged from the outside and the other from the inside (between the two). The spacing of the dog legs would ensure mutual exclusivity. I started to CAD it but, got tied-up in some shop renovations. Still very do-able but possibly (probably) more trouble than it's worth.

It has been an interesting design exercise.
I drew it up with two dogs as well, with the pulleys between the dog clutches. That was version #2. That drawing is on the computer at work. I have not dumped it yet, but I can replicate it if required.
Pierre

No need to trouble yourself with drawing it up right now. This is on the back burners at a very low simmer. I will eventually post it as eye candy. Sounds like we're accomplishing the same thing is a slightly different way...

Ray

Here is a PDF but not as good as your's Ray. How or what program did you use to make your PDF? I am using Autocad 2000 here at home.
Pierre

Attachments

• assembly Model.pdf
    24.8 KB · Views: 147
Pierre,

The CAD program (Alibre Pro) exports directly to PDF. Also, if you use real Acrobat reader (not a clone program) you can click the image and it will load in the 3D rendering information and you can use the mouse and scroll to rotate the image in 3D.

Ray

Does anyone have a pdf manual for the PM1236? I have the lathe coming and would like to know more about it.
Bob

Back