Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

I hope so , brav. I took your advise and sprayed a dry teflon lube on the bearings. The lock even works.
I've trimmed the glue edges off the top. Not much I can do with the top until the lathe arrives. Once it does, I can use the drip pan to place the attachment bolt t-nuts and decide if I need some steel reinforcement.

Great job, first class work. The new lathe will love it.

I'm done with the tool box. Whoo! Good Lord that was a pain in the butt. It was too dark to take a picture.

We'll get to see it when you put your new lathe on it. :)

Thanks bprati, Bill. Matt will send the lathe when he sends it. I've given up guessing when it will get here. I don't much expect it next week. I'm as ready as I can be whenever it gets here.

There isn't much I can do on the top until the lathe gets here, not knowing the location of mounting holes or dimensions of the drip pan.

Here it is. Nothing left to do until the lathe gets here.
The white paper inserts in the aluminum drawer handles are kinda dirty and stained. Maybe I'll dig around and see if I can come up with something else.

final box_0518.JPG

final box_0519.JPG

Now to start worrying about how I'm going to lift the lathe on the stand. I was hoping I could get the middle of the box under the hoist.

Not so with it extended to 1/2 ton.

hoist H-ton_0520.JPG

Just barely at the quarter ton setting. I guess I can take some things off the lathe to lighten it.
I really didn't want to be lifting at the top limit of the hoist.

hoist Q-ton_0521.JPG

I have this gantry hoist I made years ago. It was able to carry the weight of my mill, which weighs a little under 400 pounds. But, I have no idea what its limit is. Probably the wheels are the weak point. They could be replaced with feet pretty easily.

Perhaps, I could use the engine hoist to get the lathe on the stand, and then use the gantry to carry enough weight to be able to scoot it into position. If the gantry gives out, the lathe would only drop a fraction of an inch.

gantry hoist_0522.JPG

Last edited:
Franko put one end of the lathe on the gantry and the other end on the engine hoist and roll the cabinet underneath Tina drop the lathe down. Then wheel that snazzy cart into place plug in the lathe and your off!

Back