Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

Thanks for looking, Brav, Tim, smdo.

Yes, I did go with the hammered finish. I think it looks pretty good. A bit of a metallic sheen. It took a whole can to paint the small drawers. I made a run to Home Depot last night and cleaned out the last two cans they had in stock.

I spent most of yesterday drilling out rivets. The drawer part of the guides were riveted with hollow rivets. I had to try to grab the very flat head on the opposite side with a sharp pair of side cutters to keep them from spinning. It wasn't easy one-handed. I sure could have used some help.

Then, sanding 13 drawers, inside and out. I hate sanding drawers. My old Porter Cable 1/4 sheet sander made the work quicker if not louder. Even so, it took 2-3 hours. I had planned to use 180 grit paper, but as it turned out, I didn't have any, so 220 was it. It did a good job slicking down and dulling the original crinkle finish on the box and drawers.

Drawers are in the painting phase. First the bottoms and sides. Then flip them and the fronts and backs and insides. I expect that it will take me most of today to finish painting them. Lots of flipping and drying. The wind is picking up today, making spraying more difficult. The wind screen I put together is helping some. So far, no sags.

I picked up a couple cans of Duplicolor truck bed liner paint yesterday. The plan is to paint the insides of the drawers with that. It dries very fast and is tough as nails, and requires very little surface prep. Plus the benefit of providing a non-skid surface inside the drawers. The drawers have good heavy duty rubber liners, but the tend to scoot and wrinkle up. I may put them back in, depending on if they don't scoot around on the truck bed liner paint.

The enamel hammered finish paint takes so long to fully harden and cure, that I'm sure they would have gotten all scratched and chipped if I used that. Enamel takse months to fully cure so it will resist chipping and scratching.

painting drawers_0510.JPG

drying drawers_0511.JPG

I kinda figured I'd have heard from Quality Tools by now. It looks like the new lathe won't make it here this week.

More time for paint to cure.

Franko that puppy looks sweet! I think you might need some flames on that thing to complete the look!

Hi Franko
Looking good. Looking very good! Any chance of a photo with you standing beside the chest /stand so we can judge the final centre height of the lathe?
Ron

Thanks, brav. Maybe I'll pinstripe it. I used to be a sign painter and our shop decorated several fire trucks with gold leaf and pin striping for a local company that made firetrucks. I even got to drive a couple of them.

All the wheels touch the ground and it seems pretty stout.

Thanks, Ron.
It's just me around here. Maybe Sunday I can get one of my breakfast buddies to take a shot. When I get the drawers in, I can roll it next to my old lathe and stand for a comparison.

If I measured everything right, the top should be about 36" off the floor, 2-inches higher than the old one. I'd rather it wouldn't be, but they don't make big bottom cases any shorter.

Last edited:
After careful checking for holidays and some touch-ups, I believe I'm done spraying the drawers. They need to sit in the sun all day today to cure enough so I can mask them for spraying truck bed liner on the insides.

Still no word on the lathe.

Dead soldiers.

dead soldiers_0513.JPG

Looks good, I love how tuff that hammered paint is. Maybe you should have bought the $10 quart and $10 harbor freight gun to save some cash.

What $10 quart? It's about $25 a quart. I have a good spray gun, but I don't like spraying enamel with it. Too hard to clean. I doubt a quart would have been enough.

Because I was painting a lot of drawers and only had space to paint in three batches, and considering I had to let them dry and turn them over meant that it took three sprayings to complete each batch to get two coats on the viable sides, over a period of two days.

It was worth an extra $30 not to have to clean a spray gun 6 times.

Back