Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

Came out really good. Wish I had the time to put together something like that, but really busy and just went with the stand from PM.

Thanks, MSDO.
It was a good project. I enjoyed doing it and didn't have anything else going at the time. I love having a project that makes me want to get up in the morning.

I just got an email from Nicole. My lathe is on the way via UPS freight. Estimated transit is 3 business days, plus a day or so for lift gate residential service. I'm guessing Tuesday or Wednesday.

It is getting real, now.

I guess it is time to clean up and photograph the old Grizzly G-4000 and accessories to post on Craig's List.

Great to hear, sounds like the lathes are beginning to flow. I'd better get ready as well and tool up!

UPS Tracking kicked in this morning. ETA is Tuesday. UPS freight also called me and confirmed they will deliver the lathe Tuesday, between 10am and 4pm.

:dancing banana:

Do you know what's required for break-in as well as regular maintenance (oil, etc.)?

I vaguely remember the break-in procedure for my G-4000. It was something like run it forward 10 minutes, then backwards 10 minutes. I figure it will be in the manual.

I'm considering inlaying a couple plates of 1/4" cold roll in my tabletop to go under each foot of the lathe. Since I have no idea their dimensions and locations, I'll have to wait until the lathe is here. The necessity will depend on if I think the splash pan is stiff enough to support shims if I need to level it.

I'm considering inlaying a couple plates of 1/4" cold roll in my tabletop to go under each foot of the lathe. Since I have no idea their dimensions and locations, I'll have to wait until the lathe is here. The necessity will depend on if I think the splash pan is stiff enough to support shims if I need to level it.

I have my little SB sitting on some aluminum plates just to distribute the load across the plywood. I only used one sheet of 3/4" plywood and 3/8" aluminum plate but my little lathe is significantly smaller than yours (~300 lbs)

Back