Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

Great job on the stand so far. Looks like it's going to turn out nice.

Thanks, msdo. I emptied the tool box this evening and turned it upside down to make sure the wheel dolly fits. It was very tight but it fits. Whew.

Painting the box is going to be a lot of work. I'm still not sure what color, but right now I'm leaning toward a gray hammered finish.

To dispel any rumors that I'm infallible, I offer proof.
The angle brackets that the tool box rests on are welded to the frame with pocket welds. After cutting corner miters, I drilled a series of holes about every 6 inches in the angle. In the heat of drilling, I absent mindedly drilled the holes for one of the end brackets on the wrong leg of the angle.

The idealistic younger me would have never tolerated such an error. The tired and older me does not suffer such perfectionism. I didn't have any more of that angle in the shop and the metal store was closed, so I decreed that the miss-drilled holes would not weaken the structure and used it anyway. I did consider claiming that I drilled them on purpose — drain holes.

hole goof_0494.JPG

Last edited:
The pivot bolt that the left side stationary wheels rotate on was originally planned to be pocket welded into the 1/4" angle of the frame. It had to be flush to the inside of the frame to fit over the toolbox. I also had not turned over the tool box to see if the bottom was flat or was recessed. I was concerned that there wasn't enough meat on the 1/4" angle to resist the torque the bolt would be standing.

After turning over the box, I saw that I could cut a notch without effecting the structural integrity of the box. The hole falls right in the middle of the bottom edge. I determined that I should make a 3/8" plate to weld the bolt to which would move the shearing force back from the weld about a half-inch. I cut a notch out of the bottom edge of the box to make clearance for the pivot bolt and its back plate.

box notch_0493.JPG

I left a gap in the angle box supports just for this eventuality. I had some concern that welding the grade 8 bolt would temper it and make it brittle. I don't think it is a worry because as much as I could see, the heat affected zone doesn't seem to go more than about a 1/4 inch from the weld. The shearing force is 5/8 inch from the weld.

pivot hole_0495.JPG
pivot hole plate_0496.JPG

Thanks, msdo. I emptied the tool box this evening and turned it upside down to make sure the wheel dolly fits. It was very tight but it fits. Whew.

Painting the box is going to be a lot of work. I'm still not sure what color, but right now I'm leaning toward a gray hammered finish.
The hammered finish should hide most of the imperfections, so might not be too bad prep wise.

To dispel any rumors that I'm infallible, I offer proof..........I decreed that the miss-drilled holes would not weaken the structure and used it anyway. I did consider claiming that I drilled them on purpose — drain holes.

View attachment 104788

I am right there with you Franko.... What were once errors are now design changes! At least that's my story and I am sticking to it!

Looking forward to seeing it all together.

I call misdrilled holes weep holes. Think about it. ;)

Tom

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to ever miss-drill some holes. Weep holes pretty much says it.

I'm done with the welding. Too bad. I kinda enjoyed welding this last couple weeks. The shop floor has had a lot of grinding dust that's needed sweeping every day. I won't miss that.

Onward and upward.

I emptied the drawers on the toolbox and have started preparing it for paint. Masking all those ball bearing guides is going to be a pain. I hate paint prep. One fortunate thing. The monsoon we've been suffering this month is going to take a break next week. We've officially broken the all time record for rain in May. I'll be able to take it outside and let the sun do some of the paint curing.

It is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. We are only about an inch from breaking the all time record for rain in any month.

Has anyone ever used a liquid sandpaper for prepping a painted surface for new paint?

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to ever miss-drill some holes. Weep holes pretty much says it.

I'm done with the welding. Too bad. I kinda enjoyed welding this last couple weeks. The shop floor has had a lot of grinding dust that's needed sweeping every day. I won't miss that.

Onward and upward.

I emptied the drawers on the toolbox and have started preparing it for paint. Masking all those ball bearing guides is going to be a pain. I hate paint prep. One fortunate thing. The monsoon we've been suffering this month is going to take a break next week. We've officially broken the all time record for rain in May. I'll be able to take it outside and let the sun do some of the paint curing.

It is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. We are only about an inch from breaking the all time record for rain in any month.

Has anyone ever used a liquid sandpaper for prepping a painted surface for new paint?

I have used deglosser befor. It basically etches the surface chemically to give the paint something to bite on to. A foam sanding block would probably work just as fast. You do not need to remove the paint just take the gloss off the surface. Wipe the whole thing off with denatured alchohol or mineral spirits. You could also use an etching primer but that means painting it twice.

Back