PM-1030V or 1130V LATHE

The anxiety is only eased with the first chips. Then the addiction kicks in and you will be amazed how the money disappears. Never seem to have the right raw material of the right size.

PM-1228VF-LB with DRO, base, 4-jaws chuck, QCTP is $5,578 + 199 for shipping…. An additional $1,000 more…

You guys are killing me…

The 1228VF-LB fits nicely in my little 1/2 garage hobby space. QCGB was one of the determining factors, good decision and advice from others.

Attachments

• 20210111_090058_resized.jpg
    20210111_090058_resized.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
I think you made a good decision, even at $1000 more the QCGB alone is worth the extra money. Interesting that it came out so much more though, looking at the base price the 1228 is only $500 more, it must be all the other add on's each adding a bit more as well.

The 1228VF-LB fits nicely in my little 1/2 garage hobby space.
I like how you organized everything. Do you have a thread where you documented what you did?

I see a few tools that might look like things you made to simplify a few steps needed to use the lathe. Would love to learn about those as well.

I see the build of my workshop just moving out another year or two (because I continue to blow my budgets on the tools I am getting!!! :mad: )... So I am pretty much convinced that I will be setting up my lathe in the garage.

Oh, and you got the leveling feet as well. Feedback on those? Worked great or?

I think you made a good decision, even at $1000 more the QCGB alone is worth the extra money. Interesting that it came out so much more though, looking at the base price the 1228 is only $500 more, it must be all the other add on's each adding a bit more as well.

The difference is that one has accessories already included in the price of the lathe package where in the 1228 some of those are extra...

Thank you for the light push I needed to decide on going with this one... I had already placed the order for the 1130... when I read your post it was like, man, I better do this right and not regret it. So a quick call to the folks at PM and they made the change.

Looking back at my first thread when I started to look for a lathe (Feedback on first lathe - 8x14 600W variable speed lathe CJ210A) you made a similar comment that I should look for something with a QCGB... I must confess that I did not understand that at the time...I read QCGB and understood QCTP... talk about scotomas... So thank you again for mentioning that and also introducing me to the Blondihacks videos. When QCGB finally clicked in my mind, yeah.... I was doomed to depart from more money that I was expecting...

The difference is that one has accessories already included in the price of the lathe package where in the 1228 some of those are extra...

Thank you for the light push I needed to decide on going with this one... I had already placed the order for the 1130... when I read your post it was like, man, I better do this right and not regret it. So a quick call to the folks at PM and they made the change.

Looking back at my first thread when I started to look for a lathe (Feedback on first lathe - 8x14 600W variable speed lathe CJ210A) you made a similar comment that I should look for something with a QCGB... I must confess that I did not understand that at the time...I read QCGB and understood QCTP... talk about scotomas... So thank you again for mentioning that and also introducing me to the Blondihacks videos. When QCGB finally clicked in my mind, yeah.... I was doomed to depart from more money that I was expecting...

There are a lot of great machining videos on youtube, but Blondihacks really stands out for someone coming in with no prior knowledge.

I am a fan of small lathes (obsessed might be a better term), but they fill a small niche. Great if they fit your work, but hard to fit your work to a lathe that is too small. 12" is a nice general purpose size if you are buying new.

I'll check my notes and provide a basic rundown.
Yea tooling is expensive & even a little addictive.
It's easy to spend someone else's money. ;)

Afraid to ask…

Stay with the 6" Precision 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck, D1-4 Mount or go with the 8” High Precision 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck, D1-4 Mount

The base lathe package does not include the 4-jaws chuck. When I called they changed the lathe and carried over the rest of the accessories as those were compatible.

Just checking to see if it is fine as is or major benefit to change it…

Back