PM-1030V or 1130V LATHE

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just have some patience with me... I am trying to buy my first and last metal lathe. As I mentioned before, I have no specific use for it. I just want to learn using a lathe, but want to get something that will last me and not outgrow too quickly.

I thought I was set on the Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP-w/2axDRO (thread on this) and then I saw that Precision Matthews has a 1130V w/2axDRO ...

The PM 1130V is $4,567.99 +199 for shipping - this includes the lathe, the 4 jaws chuck (not included in the lathe), DRO, and the stand
The PM 1030V is $3,258.99 +199 for shipping - this include the lathe, DRO, and the stand

Both come with the quick change tool post set (QCTP)...

Should I spend the additional $1,300 for the 1130V???? I can't find any feedback on that model. Seems to be too new...

Last edited:
Not much more to go to the 1228 or 1236 which would get you a QCGB - quick change gear box. Once you get to that size / budget I find it hard to argue for less than a 12x36 unless your space just can not be made to work with the length of the bigger lathe.

There are smaller vintage lathes with a QCGB but very few current lathes under 12" that have one. Most of the 10 and 11" lathes have a very limited gear box used to control the power feed, and you will need to use change gears for threading.

With the 1127 and 1130 being lass than $1000 less than the 12" lathes I'd say it was well worth paying the extra money.

The for just a little more game is very real, but at least you do have a bit of a jump to go from the 1236 to a 1236T or 1340.

Used lathe really start to look good once you break the $2000 budget level.

I own a PM 1020V which is the same lathe as the 1030V but with a shorter length bed. Even though I usually turn small parts I would prefer to own the 1130V even at a higher price. The 1030V has a weird chuck backplate that is next to impossible to find and has not been in PM stock for the last year. The optional ER40 collet chuck with mount for the 1130 is the same or less price than the 5" collet chuck I assembled (backplate that I had to modify plus the collet chuck). The 1130 is a lot more of a lathe than the 1030. The 1130 has a very common backplate, larger spindle bore, 2 lead screws, 200 lbs. heavier and considerably more rigidity. I wish that it was available when I purchased my lathe.

Little Machine Shop has a few nice small lathes also- have you looked at their choices?
Also, there's Grizzly
-Mark

Not much more to go to the 1228 or 1236 which would get you a QCGB - quick change gear box. Once you get to that size / budget I find it hard to argue for less than a 12x36 unless your space just can not be made to work with the length of the bigger lathe.

There are smaller vintage lathes with a QCGB but very few current lathes under 12" that have one. Most of the 10 and 11" lathes have a very limited gear box used to control the power feed, and you will need to use change gears for threading.

With the 1127 and 1130 being lass than $1000 less than the 12" lathes I'd say it was well worth paying the extra money.

The for just a little more game is very real, but at least you do have a bit of a jump to go from the 1236 to a 1236T or 1340.

Used lathe really start to look good once you break the $2000 budget level.
I am good with space…if I ever get to buil the small workshop in the back like I want to…. But even if this ends up in my garage, I should have the space for it.

E4BE1C1B-B61C-45D7-A20A-0086E1BDD6D4.jpeg

And thank you for spelling out QCGB…. I kept confusing that with QTCP…

PM-1228VF-LB with DRO, base, 4-jaws chuck, QCTP is $5,578 + 199 for shipping…. An additional $1,000 more…

You guys are killing me…

Last edited:
Little Machine Shop has a few nice small lathes also- have you looked at their choices?
Also, there's Grizzly
-Mark
LMS lathes are smaller than what I am looking for. That is where I started my search and quickly was convinced that I wanted to go to a bit larger lathe…

On Grizzly, all the feedback in this forum is the the PM units are better built… even if they look very similar to the stuff Grizzly sells… reason I was only looking at what PM has.

I have had a PM1030V with DRO for three years. The PM1130V was not available at the time. I have been happy with the machine and quite pleased with the support from the tech folks. I was a classic newbie and knew nothing, made stupid mistakes, have not hurt myself and made some neat stuff (clocks, hit/miss internal combustion engines, die filer, etc...). I just took a look at the PM1130 and, well, I would definitely go with it. Bigger motor, D-1 chuck plate, two drive screws, option for 5Cor ER40 collets, heavier. Yeah, I would go for the PM1130V with DRO. You how how it is, the new stuff is nifftier............. My guess, even if you pick the PM1130V, three years later the latest model looks so cool............ Ah, well, back to making chips.

Well... may the metal working gods help me and keep me safe from my wife when she finds out...

Order placed for the following:

PM-1228VF-LB PRECISION 12″X28″ LATHE with 2axDRO
PM-1228VF-LB Stand
Wedge Quick Change Tool Post Set, AXA Size
AXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set
MT-3 Slim Body Live Center
1/8-5/8 Ultra Precision Keyless Drill Chuck MT3
6" Precision 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck, D1-4 Mount
8 Leveling pads

I had placed the order for the 1130 already and just called to make the change... I was warned that the 1130 will be here this month where the 1228s that are coming in, are all spoken for... So I will get my lathe some time towards the end of year or early Jan-Feb... who knows... All I know is that money has departed from this fool...

Last edited:
I think you made the right choice, keep checking some people change their mind, and get different equipment. You may get lucky, and get one of those. If I'm not mistaken the 1228 is the smaller version of the big boy lathes, I did enjoy mine, but ran out of bed length, and bought a 1340GT.

I think you made the right choice, keep checking some people change their mind, and get different equipment. You may get lucky, and get one of those. If I'm not mistaken the 1228 is the smaller version of the big boy lathes, I did enjoy mine, but ran out of bed length, and bought a 1340GT.
Great idea... I will search for threads here of folks waiting for their 1228 and try to convince them to go bigger, buuuuahahahahhahaha :D

Back