Please help with table saw motor

Interesting. I took the motor to work. I runs fine. Needs bearings but it's pretty obvious the old house just doesn't have enough of a power supply to run this old 1.5HP motor at 20 max amps.
I have a 3/4 hp motor. Prettty wimpy no?

For a table saw, I don't think 3/4 horse is wimpy. 1 hp might be better (what I have on my old Craftsman) as long as we ain't talking about a 14" blade here. That Leeson motor should be a real nice unit if you can figure out how to send 220v to it and get the start circuit going.

Oh good, I'm glad to hear a 3/4 could run it. John York just set me up with a Rockwell 3/4 56 frame.
Considering the jury rigging we would have to do to get 220 in there, I think a clean 3/4 would be a better choice.
I'll take an old school 3/4 over today's 3/4 any day.

I think my Craftsman was originally spec'd for 3/4 horse, and the 1 HP China Central Freight motor was my Dad's "upgrade" (you know what they say about Chinese horses). It was a while ago. But if you have a line on a true 3/4 horse, I think you will be fine. You'll probably stall the blade if you twist a sheet of plywood against it halfway through, but that's always the case.

Just a comment on newer motors vs "old school" motors. Power tools today, particularly Craftsman, are rated for max load amps, ie "develops xxx HP". The same system being used by the Chinese. That rating is based on maximum current at rated voltage calculated in watts. 750 (m/l) watts equals 1.0 HP. It's actually 745 point something watts. When calculating loads, I usually use 750 watts. . . Easier to figure and a smidgen of wiggle room. Old school motors had power calculated based on torque. Which one is more correct is debatable. But knowing marketing editors and their shenanigans, I don't have much faith in the modern system. I have retrofitted Baldor motors to several of my machines. Tough and fully enclosed(TEFC) so swarf doesn't get into the electrics. I have a 1/3rd HP on a Craftsman 12X36 that runs fine and takes anything I have thrown at it so far. Granted, I do small work as a rule. But the machine runs stable and never bogs down. Belts slip but it has never stalled.

Good old Baldor
That’s interesting about hp rating.

Back