Please help with table saw motor

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
My son bought a Craftsman ( Sears and Roebuck) table saw. It has a dual voltage 1.5hp Lessen motor.
First off, the motor was wired wrong.
They had T3, T5 and T8 on #2.
I now have T3 and T5 on #2 and T2 and T8 on #4.
Please see the pics. We are going for low voltage.

I have the chassis grounded.
Where does neutral go?

Attachments

• D2F72FA9-0B2E-4738-AF7D-F8CE9E42ED7D.jpeg
    D2F72FA9-0B2E-4738-AF7D-F8CE9E42ED7D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 43
Low voltage (115v) supply cord should have three wires; L1 hot (black), L2 neutral (white) and ground (green) The green ground can go to one of the screws holding on the cover plate.

jack vines

Low voltage (115v) supply cord should have three wires; L1 hot (black), L2 neutral (white) and ground (green) The green ground can go to one of the screws holding on the cover plate.

jack vines
That’s what I have. I just didn’t know where the white neutral went

Thank you,
Ill give it a whirl this afternoon

It should matter were the white goes. It's alternating current. But normally L 2 is white.

... dual voltage 1.5hp Lessen motor ... We are going for low voltage.
IANAE*

A 1.5 hp motor would require approximately 25 amps on a 120 volt circuit. That means that you need heavy gauge wire in the wall to avoid overheating and the risk of fire. To handle in the inrush of current on startup, the circuit should be oversized by at least 10% so that necessitates 30 amp wiring and circuit breaker.

What kind of motor starter is on the saw. If it has overload heaters sized for 240 volts, they will also need to be changed.

You may want to consider installing a 240 circuit.

Craig
*I am not an electrician.

FYI from Google (current draw for a 1.5 hp motor). Might be some initial extra needed to get it going, think that is the starter capacitor's job.

Bruce

1598832850353.png

Back