Plastic Gas Cap Threads

Thanks all for your responses. This is an "old" (70's-80's) craftsman product. Most of you seem to be confirming my suspicion on single pointing the threads. I will try and measure tonight but i don't know that I have any thread pitch gauge to match the threads. I also like the mold idea. The cap is missing and I do not remember seeing a vent so that might be a problem but one that could be handled with opening the gas cap once in a while if needed.

Unfortunately repair shops and ones that keep parts of any kind on hand are not known by me an not easily found on the web. They might exist but I am not sure where.

Well this is a fuel cap so tool less removal and install is ideal. What kind of bung/plug were you thinking?
As a temporary measure would a cork or rubber "cork" work, I've seen the larger rubber stoppers but for the life of me I can't remember the original intended use so I can't suggest where you would acquire one, someone else on here may know, lots of knowledge here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a temporary measure would a cork or rubber "cork" work, I've seen the larger rubber stoppers but for the life of me I can't remember the original intended use so I can't suggest where you would acquire one, someone else on here may know, lots of knowledge here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scientific supply houses carry the rubber stoppers. They are used with chemical apparatus. Fisher and VWR are two major suppliers. American Science and Surplus sells through Amazon.

However, I wouldn't recommend using a rubber stopper to cap the gas tank. The rubber will most likely swell from the gas and oil mixture. It is also possible to have pieces of the stopper slew off and create problems.

I did make a plug for the plastic pour spout on a gas can out of Delrin. The spout was polyethylene and would stretch slightly creating a pressure tight seal. Delrin is impervious to gasoline and oil.

I was wondering about a plastic champagne cork. Hard to tell the required diameter from the photos though.

-frank

You could try a plug for the drain hole in a boat. They slip in and lock with a lever. I think they're about 3/4".

Back