Places to Buy Stuff

Thanks, Jim, but a standard windsock frame won't work in my intended application. (And I've already checked them all.) I need to build my own.

Harvey

The only other things I can come up with is either find a local ornamental iron shop, I can't believe it would cost much to have it rolled. Or a trip to Harbor Freight for one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html

Every project requires a new tool anyway, you can never have too many tools.

Every project requires a new tool anyway, you can never have too many tools.

If we all learn just one thing from Tim-The-Toolman-Taylor, that should be it! :man:

Actually, I had already considered the Harbor Freight tubing roller but there's no indication that multiple-sizes of round dies are included or even available (other than some square dies that are offered separately). And, as we all know, if an exact-width die isn't used for the diameter of tubing being rolled, the tubing will be crushed and/or kinked.

Harvey

Actually, I had already considered the Harbor Freight tubing roller but there's no indication that multiple-sizes of round dies are included or even available (other than some square dies that are offered separately). And, as we all know, if an exact-width die isn't used for the diameter of tubing being rolled, the tubing will be crushed and/or kinked.

Harvey

Some time ago I had a project where I needed some rings made from 1/2 inch solid rod. I bought the HF Gear Driven Ring Roller and just modified the dies to suit my needs. They are made from soft steel so machine easily. It was a little light for the job, but I took my time and got it done. If you have the equipment to build or modify the dies, the HF tubing roller might be worthwhile.

EDIT: I just looked at the instruction manual for the tube roller, it comes with 1", 1 1/2" and 2" round dies.

TTI Steel / Metal Supermarket on North Ave in Plainfield, NJ. 908-757-0404 They have a nice supply of different metals and will cut you anything you need, no minimums. Price-wise, I think they're about the same as McMaster-Carr which ain't too bad. Closed on the weekends. They aren't associated with Metal Supermarkets anymore but a lot of guys know them by their old name.

Unique Metals on West Scott Ave in Rahway, N. (732) 388-1888. Only bought a few pieces of stainless from them before I knew of Metal Supermarket in Plainfield. Good guys.

Sources - Industrial Supply
Museums and Places to Visit (also see the Calendar page)

Nels,
adding to your list of museums, an often overlooked one in Baltimore, Md. is the Baltimore Museum of Industry. There is a permanent exhibit of an early machine shop and everything is driven by an overhead belt system.
http://www.thebmi.org/page

I just found a place in Glen Burnie, MD called Metals To Go. It's part of E-J Enterprises which was mentioned in a previous post. They have a website at http://www.metalstogo.biz/. For those near Glen Burnie they permit walk-ins and have Weigh and Pay bins with lots of cutoffs. Cost as of 3/19/2014 is $2.00 per pound. They had several bins that were full of various sized pieces of aluminum and stainless steel.

Jerry

I was so excited to see this (back in March), finally got a chance to stop in yesterday... Unfortunately, they have gone out of business. Big sign on the building: "Now open to the public", little sign on the door: "Out of Business..." :(

I assume it's another victim of the anti-business environment here in Maryland (6500 companies gone in the last 8 years), very sad...

Back