Places to Buy Stuff

I spent the morning at Lost Creek Machine. They have a lot more in stock than their website shows. Great people to work with and a lot of help, especially for a retired hobbyist Lotsa stuff!!!

I realize this won't be much help to most of you but for those that live in or near central California you should give South Bay Metals a try. They stock the normal full lengths of steel and aluminum but their selection of drops/remnants is to die for. As an example I just bought a piece of 2-1/2" x 9" x 9" 6061 T6 for $28.00 including tax. While they have a good assortment of aluminum they also have stainless steel and mild steel drops. Their address is 64 Denio Ave, Gilroy, CA 95020. Phone number is (408) 848-2705. I always picked up my stuff but they may ship.

Tom S.

I've ordered some steel and aluminum stock from these guys before, after comparing to a few of the other online metal suppliers they were a bit cheaper.
If your in the southeast shipping might be a little less, they are located in Mooresville,NC near Charlotte.
http://www.stockcarsteel.com

Standard Drive Components

Hey, check this place out Standard Drive Components. I go to this site just to dream of what I could make. They have tons of stuff.

I see MSC Direct was mentioned. Beware -- I need a 25mmX1.5 Die. MSC wants $333.00+ shipping. That's outrageous. McMaster Carr wants $45.00 + Shipping for the same thing.

"Billy G"

I see MSC Direct was mentioned. Beware -- I need a 25mmX1.5 Die. MSC wants $333.00+ shipping. That's outrageous. McMaster Carr wants $45.00 + Shipping for the same thing.

"Billy G"

No Bill, this is not MSC, it is SDC and has tons-o-stuff. Check out my link. And you are correct, it pays to shop.

I just found a place in Glen Burnie, MD called Metals To Go. It's part of E-J Enterprises which was mentioned in a previous post. They have a website at http://www.metalstogo.biz/. For those near Glen Burnie they permit walk-ins and have Weigh and Pay bins with lots of cutoffs. Cost as of 3/19/2014 is $2.00 per pound. They had several bins that were full of various sized pieces of aluminum and stainless steel.

Jerry

I need one 24" diameter hoop for a windsock project and I'm having a heck of a time finding a source. The dimensions aren't critical so I don't need it custom fabricated at a custom price. An off-the-shelf hoop will do.

It needs to be made of 1" OD thin-wall (.065 or so) steel tube. I tried fabbing one by using an electrician's hand bender to make incremental bends but I wasn't happy with the results.

Surely, someone makes these. (Note: I've already tried McMaster.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Harvey

I need one 24" diameter hoop for a windsock project and I'm having a heck of a time finding a source. The dimensions aren't critical so I don't need it custom fabricated at a custom price. An off-the-shelf hoop will do.

It needs to be made of 1" OD thin-wall (.065 or so) steel tube. I tried fabbing one by using an electrician's hand bender to make incremental bends but I wasn't happy with the results.

Surely, someone makes these. (Note: I've already tried McMaster.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Harvey

Try this one.

SkyOx 24" Standard Windsock Frame $35.95 + shipping

http://www.skyox.com/product/158725

Thanks, Jim, but a standard windsock frame won't work in my intended application. (And I've already checked them all.) I need to build my own.

Harvey

Back