Phase perfect off sub panel or direct to main?

I run my 10 hp PP off a 110 amp circuit and run a 7.5 hp dust collector using a vfd so as to not limit the PP when running a 12hp motor. You have plenty of capacity given your current machines. You may regret it in the future, but you can operate the PP off a 60 amp circuit. you won't have quite as much capacity but the unit will start a 7.5 hp machine unless it is terribly hard starting. My PP is wired into a 4 breaker three phase panel that I found pretty cheap NOS on ebay. I ran a separate circuit to the 5 hp compressor but most machines are on a 40 amp #8 wire main line. At each machine I put a 30 amp sized fusible disconnect ( they are also cheap if you hunt for them ) and size the fuse appropriately to the machine. The machine can be hard wired to the disconnect but I use L15-30 from the disconnect so the machine can be moved if needed. I standardized with L15-30 as I found having some L15-20 always meant I had the wrong stuff on hand. Dave

I run my 10 hp PP off a 110 amp circuit and run a 7.5 hp dust collector using a vfd so as to not limit the PP when running a 12hp motor. You have plenty of capacity given your current machines. You may regret it in the future, but you can operate the PP off a 60 amp circuit. you won't have quite as much capacity but the unit will start a 7.5 hp machine unless it is terribly hard starting. My PP is wired into a 4 breaker three phase panel that I found pretty cheap NOS on ebay. I ran a separate circuit to the 5 hp compressor but most machines are on a 40 amp #8 wire main line. At each machine I put a 30 amp sized fusible disconnect ( they are also cheap if you hunt for them ) and size the fuse appropriately to the machine. The machine can be hard wired to the disconnect but I use L15-30 from the disconnect so the machine can be moved if needed. I standardized with L15-30 as I found having some L15-20 always meant I had the wrong stuff on hand. Dave
What cable did you use from machine to plug. Soow? Gauge?

Depends on machine. Usually #10 unless a small motor, then 12 or 14. I usually oversize and SOOW or SJOW, depending on what is available. If I'm running a long cord I make sure it is oversized as well. If the fused disconnect is 20 amp, there is no reason to run a #10 cable unless you have a piece laying around. A 7.5 hp motor would get #10 and a an L15-30. Dave

Depends on machine. Usually #10 unless a small motor, then 12 or 14. I usually oversize and SOOW or SJOW, depending on what is available. If I'm running a long cord I make sure it is oversized as well. If the fused disconnect is 20 amp, there is no reason to run a #10 cable unless you have a piece laying around. A 7.5 hp motor would get #10 and a an L15-30. Dave
What are you running before the fuse? T h w n inside conduit? Romex in wall?

Do you know where I can find a picture of a setup like you're describing?

I run conduit so it can be changed or added to. I have run flex as well. Don't skimp, 3/4" is minimum, 1" is easier to use and what I would do if starting over. I run 1.25" in the big shop, 3/4" in the garage shop.. Dave

I'm definitely learned the lesson of oversizing for future needs. I've been considering getting the larger phase perfect but it's a big jump up in price from 10 to 20ho and not likely something I'll need unless I get into larger CNC work.

I run conduit so it can be changed or added to. I have run flex as well. Don't skimp, 3/4" is minimum, 1" is easier to use and what I would do if starting over. I run 1.25" in the big shop, 3/4" in the garage shop.. Dave
If you were doing it all over again would you get PP or RPC?

PP. I've nothing against a good balanced rpc but the PP delivers balanced voltage whether running A 1/2 hp motor or a 12 hp. I have a 10,20, and 30 hp units and a couple of Kay RPC I keep in case the PP dies. Haven't needed them in over 10 years. Dave

About to order a 10hp phase perfect. Wanted to know if I can split of my 100 amp sub panel. Max load will be 7.5hp lathe. Lights are wired to the main. Can't see why not but maybe I'm missing something?

I'm not sure what you're asking. "Split"? Do you men you want to power this from a sub panel? You could... If I go with a previous reply (and I don't doubt) that it calls out an 80 amp breaker, then yes, you could install it there. 80 amps, and whatever conductor (wire) gauge that will hold 80 amps over however long the circuit is. The circuit out would be of whatever gauge is required for that rated current and circuit length. If you want to breaker or fuse it lower for a smaller load, that would be done at the wall where it plugs in or is hard wired in. Especially if you are going to use a plug (Not recommended here...), it allows you to use the appropriate plug, so that the machine will ONLY plug into the correct power, and ONLY correct machines would plug into that plug. At the point where you leave the wall, AFTER the lower rated fuses/breaker, you can drop the wire size to what that last, lower rated device can supply.

80 amps puts a heckuva dent in a 100 amp panel, but in practice, you won't often be fully utilizing it. That circuit takes away from the panel's capacity what you're using at the time, not what it says on the breaker.

In another post you asked about wires. In a workshop environment, I'm a big fan of pulling wires through conduit. Pick one kind that you can work with easily, and go with it. Go (reasonably) oversized, and do study some tables as to how many wires is "full" (you can't make a conduit physically full), and any derating that's required. (They're easy tables, all over the internet). Then stab at what size you might grow into. Then stuff it with THHN. You could use others, but that's the defacto standard for any time you don't need something else, so it comes easier. And after you leave the wall. presuming it's a short run, about any SOXXX. is fine, and there's a thousand permutations of that. I'm not sure if you said what voltage the lathe runs at, but you probably could use an SJOXXX in the same permutations as the SO, but limited to 300 volts, and WAY easier to work with.

What nec are you running from? Haven't ran across that one.

I don't think NEC cares, so long as the protection is good for every step of the way. I've seen similar, although I don't recall the percentages. it's a local code added to whatever version of the NEC they currently base their codes on. It (helps to) prevent you from making an electrical system that no other homeowner or business owner/employee could possibly understand what they can use when, and no hired electrician could possibly understand without entirely reverse engineering the entire thing from beginning to end. I suspect it probably helps towards that end. But as you say, I don't believe NEC addresses that.

PP. I've nothing against a good balanced rpc but the PP delivers balanced voltage whether running A 1/2 hp motor or a 12 hp. I have a 10,20, and 30 hp units and a couple of Kay RPC I keep in case the PP dies. Haven't needed them in over 10 years. Dave
What phase perfect are you running? Simple, Enterprise or standard?

Back