Phase perfect off sub panel or direct to main?

Net30

Registered
Registered
About to order a 10hp phase perfect. Wanted to know if I can split of my 100 amp sub panel. Max load will be 7.5hp lathe. Lights are wired to the main. Can't see why not but maybe I'm missing something?

I think we have a terminology problem here.
When you say "Lights are wired to the main." I can interpret that as the circuit for the lights is connected directly to the service conductors, without a circuit breaker or fused disconnect. I hope you meant "main panel".

Phase Perfect says a model PT010 (10HP) requires an 80 Amp breaker and that's what you should provide, regardless of your 7.5HP current plan.
An 80 Amp appliance serviced from a 100 Amp sub-panel doesn't leave a lot of headroom for other circuits.

How conveniently located is the Main Panel?
Is it cost effective to upgrade the Sub-Panel (150 Amps?)?

Not enough info here to know the circumstances and trade offs you are dealing with.

I run my PTE10 off a 100A sub panel. The only thing this sub panel feeds, are machines I'll be running, and thus only one at a time. No real chance of overloading things. If there's a chance that you'll be running multiple machines at the same time, you may be cutting it close. Just depends on how you'll be using it.

You might want to check the local regulations before installing any panel. In our area the first sub panel has to be 50% or less of the original service panel, and any additional panels have to be 60% or less of the second panel. Our house started out with a 200-amp main panel. When I wanted the shop in the garage, we had a contractor add a 100-amp subpanel out there. When the shop moved to the basement, I wanted another 100-amp subpanel but was told the biggest I could go was 60 amps.

If the same rules apply in your area, it sounds like you're going to need a whole new service to be able to accommodate a 10hp converter.

You might want to check the local regulations before installing any panel. In our area the first sub panel has to be 50% or less of the original service panel, and any additional panels have to be 60% or less of the second panel. Our house started out with a 200-amp main panel. When I wanted the shop in the garage, we had a contractor add a 100-amp subpanel out there. When the shop moved to the basement, I wanted another 100-amp subpanel but was told the biggest I could go was 60 amps.

If the same rules apply in your area, it sounds like you're going to need a whole new service to be able to accommodate a 10hp converter.
What nec are you running from? Haven't ran across that one.

I think we have a terminology problem here.
When you say "Lights are wired to the main." I can interpret that as the circuit for the lights is connected directly to the service conductors, without a circuit breaker or fused disconnect. I hope you meant "main panel".

Phase Perfect says a model PT010 (10HP) requires an 80 Amp breaker and that's what you should provide, regardless of your 7.5HP current plan.
An 80 Amp appliance serviced from a 100 Amp sub-panel doesn't leave a lot of headroom for other circuits.

How conveniently located is the Main Panel?
Is it cost effective to upgrade the Sub-Panel (150 Amps?)?

Not enough info here to know the circumstances and trade offs you are dealing with.
Everything besides machines will be running of main panel.

Any good detailed wiring guides for panel? When I search rotory converter wiring, I get guides for building the actual converter.

I always install a 200 amp panel whether I think I will need it all or not. Later on, I dont have to worry about having enough if I need to add anything.
Figured 100 was way more then I'd need. Then I found a lathe I need but definitely don't "need"

I run my PTE10 off a 100A sub panel. The only thing this sub panel feeds, are machines I'll be running, and thus only one at a time. No real chance of overloading things. If there's a chance that you'll be running multiple machines at the same time, you may be cutting it close. Just depends on how you'll be using it.
Could you post a picture of your wiring, sounds almost identical to my situation. Maybe any resources you used?

Back