Peerless Electric Motor Drum Switch And Ground

If you look at your original pictures, the one where you are holding the wires of the motor, right above the tape marked "4W" you will see a little rolled up tab on the wire. In fact, they are on all of the wires. That will identify what that wire is. That motor can be wired for 220V or 110V. It may even be variable speed. In any event, some of those wires will not be needed just make sure you nut them so you don't get a short someplace. You should have everything you need now. If I was a little closer, I would come over and give you a hand.

Yes it is three prong so I know it should be go under but when I followed the wire from the plug to the switch the ground was cut off. So I am putting in a new cord.
By the way, you most definitely want to ground the switch! That's a biggie! I'm about 99% sure that one of the wires from the motor will also be a ground. However, grounding that switch is a must.

I absolutely agree I know it wasn't grounded previouslythe wire for the ground was cut out there is no diagram on the switch that I can find I'll try and read the wire and see what they say I really appreciate the help finster electrical has always been a hard spot for me will post what I find shortly

I absolutely agree I know it wasn't grounded previouslythe wire for the ground was cut out there is no diagram on the switch that I can find I'll try and read the wire and see what they say I really appreciate the help finster electrical has always been a hard spot for me will post what I find shortly
You can ground the switch just by putting the ground wire on one of the mounting screws. As long as it's touching metal. If the motor also has a ground, you can either put a tail on it or ground it to the same screw. As long as it's getting to the three prong somehow, you should be fine.

If I remember right you only need three wires from the motor to the switch and three back to the motor plus a ground . when hooked up the switch reverses the start direction . When you know the direction change wire I'm pretty sure it goes to the center post on one side . The switch when rotated connects the opposite feed . Very confusing but simple when it gets to higher power it takes more wires to accomplish the same thing. if you want two speeds from the motor it will need a seperately mounted switch I think. Don't know if this helps but it worked on my Logan lathe over thirty years ago.

You didn't say if you paused to allow the motor to come to a complete stop in between switching the drum switch from forward to reverse. If you flip the drum switch handle from forward to reverse with the motor running, it just keeps running in the same direction normally. On single phase motors the rotor needs to slow down in order for the centrifugal switch to reconnect the start winding to the circuit. The leads to the start winding is what the reversing switch is swapping in order to change directions. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I'm just trying to keep you from chasing your tail and potentially creating new problems by altering the wiring if hadn't already known this. I have not examined the wiring diagrams that several others posted for you, but when you mention that the motor just goes at a different speed when the drum switch is moved to the opposite position, it makes me wonder (assuming the other poster was correct that this motor can be wired for both 110 and 220 v) whether the original owner miswired it to the 220 volt wiring instead of reversing the motor.

Sorry had mid terms or I would have responded faster yes I allowed the spindle to quite spinning before changing the switch to the other side the original wires are marked 1,2,3,and 4

I would add a ground on the housing but I'm not an electrician so I don't know if it's really needed? Is it a 3 prong plug? If so, it's grounded I believe. By the pictures, the motor is labeled. Not necessarily by the hand written labels but by the little labels on the wires. Usually they are little pieces of stamped tin with a code on them. What is the model number of this motor?
Sorry I've been swamped with midterms the original wire tags are marked 1,2,3 and 4 it would almost be worth driving out to ohio if it would be done and have someone that knows exactly what's going on to help

Hey, I just noticed you're in "the sticks" of central PA. I'm between Selinsgrove and Lewisburg. Where are you located?

Back