Peerless Electric Motor Drum Switch And Ground

98rangerll

Registered
Registered
Hi folks, I just got a logan 200 lathe that came with a peerless 1/3 motor, it is wired to a drum switch for 110. when I turn the switch one way it goes on when I turn it the other it goes the same direction at a different speed. as close as I can tell there is no ground wire hooked between the motor and the drum switch any help is greatly appreciated.
20160310_104131.jpg 20160310_104054.jpg 20160310_104131.jpg 20160310_104054.jpg View media item 95189View media item 95188

Well, I had a similar problem when I brought home my 8520. The guy I bought it off of was a good machinist but a crappy electrician. Luckily, I was able to download this diagram. Although it's for a Baldor motor. It may help you, it may not. Mine was wired so that my mill went the same direction forward or reverse. Hopefully, this at least gives you a clue. You can also try to google the motor model number and get a diagram. That's what I did. The drum should be fairly straight forward but I'm sure that there are wiring diagrams for that also. You can probably download the owners manual for that in PDF form. I found one for my circa 40's or 50's Sheldon lathe and also for my 8520 mill. It should also have wiring diagrams. Hope it helps a little.

baldorD90Lfinal_zps7752edba.jpg

Here, I found this in a 20 second google search. It doesn't have a diagram but you're going to want a manual anyway. You can download it for free on the left of the page. I recommend printing it off, putting it in a 3 ring binder and keeping it with the lathe. They come in very handy. Here's the link:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3353

Here is a diagram from my 8520 mill for the barrel switch. I would think yours would be similar? It's in word form so you'll have to open it.

Attachments

• switch.doc
    198 KB · Views: 36
There's not much I can't eventually figure out but I can't wrap my head around a drum switch - I hate them. I've tried twice. Did all the research, had diagrams, worked carefully to wire motors to them and wound up delivering motor and switch to the local motor shop. Last time (a Logan) he asked me if I wanted him to just show me - I was so frustrated I just said no, please put me out of my misery. I wish you the best of luck with yours and hope it goes better for you.

John (who doesn't "do" drum switches anymore)

There's not much I can't eventually figure out but I can't wrap my head around a drum switch - I hate them. I've tried twice. Did all the research, had diagrams, worked carefully to wire motors to them and wound up delivering motor and switch to the local motor shop. Last time (a Logan) he asked me if I wanted him to just show me - I was so frustrated I just said no, please put me out of my misery. I wish you the best of luck with yours and hope it goes better for you.

John (who doesn't "do" drum switches anymore)
Download that drawing that says "switch doc." and save it. It's very simple. I believe that they are all about the same, drum switch wise.
The only problem 98Ranger should have now is figuring out what wire is what out of his motor since they are not color coded. However, he can probably find a diagram for that motor online. I do not know if he is paying attention to this thread since he hasn't responded at all. However, all he should need is the model number.

OK awesome looks like I'm not in to bad of shape all I have to do is figure out what wire is what on my motor I downloaded the switch doc and the vintagemachinery. manual.

I hate when I make a reply and forget to hit post sorry guys bit I am following you all are helping me more that you realize thanks

Last edited:
If the wires are not labeled on the motor is there a way to figure out what wire is what, and what's the best way to do so?
If there is no ground should I just add one to the housing and run it to the switch and tie them in there

I would add a ground on the housing but I'm not an electrician so I don't know if it's really needed? Is it a 3 prong plug? If so, it's grounded I believe. By the pictures, the motor is labeled. Not necessarily by the hand written labels but by the little labels on the wires. Usually they are little pieces of stamped tin with a code on them. What is the model number of this motor?

Yes it is three prong so I know it should be go under but when I followed the wire from the plug to the switch the ground was cut off. So I am putting in a new cord.
It says
1/3. 60
110. 220. 5.2-2.6
H18-2 72 6 7
Layed out in that spacing roughly,
So I believe h18?View media item 95188

Back