Parker Majestic #2 surface grinder

Did a little research on Vactra No. 1 oil. First, it is pretty much impossible to find except in 5 gallon pails, and even then, it is usually listed just as ISO 32 mineral oil.
I would be curious Dave what your P-M calls for in its oil wells, since that setup looks nearly identical to my Bridgeport.

I've successfully substituted ISO32 hydraulic oil, which is readily available here...

Did a little research on Vactra No. 1 oil. First, it is pretty much impossible to find except in 5 gallon pails, and even then, it is usually listed just as ISO 32 mineral oil.
I would be curious Dave what your P-M calls for in its oil wells, since that setup looks nearly identical to my Bridgeport.

The manual calls for Vactra #2 for all oil points.

The manual calls for Vactra #2 for all oil points.
Interesting. Your wheel oiling system looks nearly identical to mine. I think I am going to try the hydraulic oil and see how that goes, although I have a gallon of Vactra 2 sitting here doing nothing at the moment.

Interesting. Your wheel oiling system looks nearly identical to mine. I think I am going to try the hydraulic oil and see how that goes, although I have a gallon of Vactra 2 sitting here doing nothing at the moment.

No matter what, KBC has almost any oil we might require.

I'm not sure if you could or not. I think I'd look at the specs for them and see what the differences are.
Thanks very much for the photos, they are very helpful.
Viscosity Vactra 1 should be iso 32 and vactra 2 should be iso 68.
You can use it as is or add a little straight 30 weight oil to thin it out.
There were occasions when we ran straight mineral spirit in our small surface grinders, it kept the film of way oil from
Lifting the table.
The lifting was seldom more than a tenth or two and generally only occurred for the first little bit after the way lube pump had discharged. but when the work is critical enough you do what works.
In industry these are tools and are expected to wear out eventually.

Viscosity Vactra 1 should be iso 32 and vactra 2 should be iso 68.
You can use it as is or add a little straight 30 weight oil to thin it out.
There were occasions when we ran straight mineral spirit in our small surface grinders, it kept the film of way oil from
Lifting the table.
The lifting was seldom more than a tenth or two and generally only occurred for the first little bit after the way lube pump had discharged. but when the work is critical enough you do what works.
In industry these are tools and are expected to wear out eventually.

So Sdelivery..... I picked up some ISO 32 hydraulic oil. After reading numerous threads on other forums, it seems that the general consensus is that (high quality) hydraulic oil is considered as a suitable replacement. This is especially true where Vactra #1 is called for in a headstock as an example. Anit-wear (A/W) hydraulic oil is usually anti-foaming, hydrophobic and protects against oxidation and rust. It seems though that Vactra 2 has a level of adhesiveness that provides for continued protection on sloped and vertical surfaces. I am not sure if Vactra 1 has the same quality.
ISO 32 is SAE 10, so it is quite thin. ISO 68 is SAE 20.
I think I am trying to understand rocket science for a machine that uses Flinstone technology :dunno:

Sorry for derailing your thread Dave.

Last edited:
So Sdelivery..... I picked up some ISO 32 hydraulic oil. After reading numerous threads on other forums, it seems that the general consensus is that (high quality) hydraulic oil is considered as a suitable replacement. This is especially true where Vactra #1 is called for in a headstock as an example. Anit-wear (A/W) hydraulic oil is usually anti-foaming, hydrophobic and protects against oxidation and rust. It seems though that Vactra 2 has a level of adhesiveness that provides for continued protection on sloped and vertical surfaces. I am not sure if Vactra 1 has the same quality.
ISO 32 is SAE 10, so it is quite thin. ISO is SAE 20.
I think I am trying to understand rocket science for a machine that uses Flinstone technology :dunno:

Sorry for derailing your thread Dave.

Totally fine @7milesup!
It’s all learning for me. And I was frankly surprised that Parker Majestic calls for #2 every where on my machine. Maybe though the higher tack factor of the #2 is to keep the oil stuck on the vertical lead screw in the column?

Thanks for the pics @Cadillac, I was nervous about disassembling mine but when I got it apart I was surprised by how simple it was.
I read somewhere, never take the mag chuck apart. Then I watch you guys
Those things get nasty.
I may check mine out some day but for now, it works perfectly.

Back