Painting equipment or tools

I take care of my machines and tools, but I do not worship them like idols. They are things, Things get scratches and dents. Scratches and dents don't affect the performance (mostly).
Me either. Until they stop running.

I'm into bicycles also , for awhile some people would strip their bike of paint and clear coat it . I never went for that , some of the bikes that I have built and painted and or refurbished the paint . https://www.pedalroom.com/bikes/search?q=markwesti
For me if I get a machine and the paint is decent / just ok , I'll use it as is and save the refurb for when I have more time for it . But I love to get all the original tooling for it . Here is a example of that . I have almost every bit of tooling that was offered .
IMG_0834 by mark westi, on Flickr

This little beauty is my Pratt & Whitney 3c , when I got it , it wasn't in bad shape and would have easily fit my good enough use it rule . However when it was sitting on CL I was comparing it to the one on lathes UK http://www.lathes.co.uk/prattwhitneymiller/page4.html so when I finally got it , making it pretty was all I could think about .
IMG_1079 by mark westi, on Flickr
On the work shop floor right now is a Bench-Master MV-1 it is getting full treatment , I'm going with Hunter green and dark yellow accents .
So how do I feel about my machines appearance ? Got to be clean , no rust if it gets rust it gets cleaned . Paint , I don't mind some chips . Knowing it will be fixed . But for my bikes and machines that I have painted I always keep some touch up paint .
Painting tip: When you get a chip fill it in with Bondo or spot putty , then use the touch up paint .
Mark .

My Atlas may be “pretty”, but I use it for what it is: a metal lathe.

If it gets beat up, it gets beat up. When it gets to the point where it’s not “pretty” anymore, I’ll likely strip it down and repaint it.

It’s all just a matter of personal preference.

I’ve restored and rebuilt several machines, and I usually paint them in the process. Only one ever gave me any qualms about the way I use it. That’s my 10EE. I went to some extra lengths on this machine and not just in terms of paint. The irony is this is that I wanted one of these forever. I’m old enough that you would think I would have learned that you really can’t save anything. Might as well use it. I am getting better but still not all the way there on this one.

I’ve included some pictures of it.

IMG_0346.jpg IMG_0348.jpg IMG_0350.jpg IMG_0822.jpg IMG_0347.jpg IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0336.jpg

I’ve restored and rebuilt several machines, and I usually paint them in the process. Only one ever gave me any qualms about the way I use it. That’s my 10EE. I went to some extra lengths on this machine and not just in terms of paint. The irony is this is that I wanted one of these forever. I’m old enough that you would think I would have learned that you really can’t save anything. Might as well use it. I am getting better but still not all the way there on this one.

I’ve included some pictures of it.

View attachment 433183 View attachment 433185 View attachment 433187 View attachment 433188 View attachment 433184 View attachment 433182 View attachment 433181
Beautiful work. Looks great.

I'm into bicycles also , for awhile some people would strip their bike of paint and clear coat it . I never went for that , some of the bikes that I have built and painted and or refurbished the paint . https://www.pedalroom.com/bikes/search?q=markwesti
For me if I get a machine and the paint is decent / just ok , I'll use it as is and save the refurb for when I have more time for it . But I love to get all the original tooling for it . Here is a example of that . I have almost every bit of tooling that was offered .
IMG_0834 by mark westi, on Flickr

This little beauty is my Pratt & Whitney 3c , when I got it , it wasn't in bad shape and would have easily fit my good enough use it rule . However when it was sitting on CL I was comparing it to the one on lathes UK http://www.lathes.co.uk/prattwhitneymiller/page4.html so when I finally got it , making it pretty was all I could think about .
IMG_1079 by mark westi, on Flickr
On the work shop floor right now is a Bench-Master MV-1 it is getting full treatment , I'm going with Hunter green and dark yellow accents .
So how do I feel about my machines appearance ? Got to be clean , no rust if it gets rust it gets cleaned . Paint , I don't mind some chips . Knowing it will be fixed . But for my bikes and machines that I have painted I always keep some touch up paint .
Painting tip: When you get a chip fill it in with Bondo or spot putty , then use the touch up paint .
Mark .
Really nice job, cross thread. I can appreciate what it takes to get there. By the way, I’m a big fan of anything made by Pratt & Whitney - great stuff!

@tailstock4 your 10EE is beautiful . In the early 80's when I worked for Rockwell I got to run a 10EE , it sure wasn't as good looking as yours . Also it had vacuum tubes in the electronics .

@tailstock4 your 10EE is beautiful . In the early 80's when I worked for Rockwell I got to run a 10EE , it sure wasn't as good looking as yours . Also it had vacuum tubes in the electronics .
Thanks. When I got my 10EE, the ways were in excellent condition. It needed several other things including spindle bearings. The original drive was pretty much shot – bad motor and missing parts. So, I decided to go with a 7.5 hp Black Max vector motor that is closed loop with back gear and so on.

Back