Painting equipment or tools

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just wondering if anyone else feels this way. Iv'e always been a fanatic with my tools and machines. To the point were I almost hated getting them dirty. So now when I make something I leave it in unpainted so it doesn't got scratched or nicked and occasionally wipe it down with WD40 to control rust. One less thing to worry about. Anyone feel this way?.

Last edited:
I am not quite to that level but have a problem with shop humidity in Texas. The next thing I know there rust starting. I am looking for something that lasts longer than Wd-40. WD works for awhile but eventually it loses its protection. I have something else, can’t remember right now, I bought but the smell is really bad and paper doesn’t work cause I want to see it.

what would you be painting? I am just learning machining but know a lot about painting metal from auto body work.

I am not quite to that level but have a problem with shop humidity in Texas. The next thing I know there rust starting. I am looking for something that lasts longer than Wd-40. WD works for awhile but eventually it loses its protection. I have something else, can’t remember right now, I bought but the smell is really bad and paper doesn’t work cause I want to see it.

what would you be painting? I am just learning machining but know a lot about painting metal from auto body work.
Basically machine stands.I do have to repeat WD40ing things down but not all that often. Luckily my shop is dry. Thanks for the reply.

I admit to hating to clean spray guns…to the extent that I now buy the cheapest HF gun and trash it after. I know, it’s wretched excess.
THAT is a great idea for bigger stuff that stays outside. Thanks for that one.

I'm still trying to decide. Painted my first lathe, but the Bridgeport, I just cleaned it up, and did all of the mechanical repairs/ adjustments. I did polish all the chrome and aluminum. I have a very nice 1940 Sidney lathe, and the Acer mill I just picked up, which is sort of a flesh tone, and pretty ugly to my eye, I guess time will tell. Mike

I'm still trying to decide. Painted my first lathe, but the Bridgeport, I just cleaned it up, and did all of the mechanical repairs/ adjustments. I did polish all the chrome and aluminum. I have a very nice 1940 Sidney lathe, and the Acer mill I just picked up, which is sort of a flesh tone, and pretty ugly to my eye, I guess time will tell. Mike
I know if I paint any of my machines I'll never use them. You've got some great machines regardless of the colors.

My Atlas:

fr_3846.jpg

My bench mill is less than a year old, so it still sports it's factory paint job.

I prefer painted and clean. I find them much nicer to use and it inspires me to keep it that way, so I tend to clean a lot more often once the job is done.

Clean tools are happy tools.

Different strokes for different folks....

I learned my lesson with my cars. My first car was a 57’ Karman Ghia and if any car deserved to be restored it did. My dad and I went halves so we both worked on it. Luckily all the mechanicals were done because it was owned by the parts manager for the VW dealership. Just the interior and paint. And rust :( We got everything done, $1,000’s in parts and work and I’m getting ready to have it painted the very next week and I’m turning left, have signal on, hand out….and a lady in big Chevy just plows into me. Her insurance offers us $75 for the car. I never heard my dad swear at anybody but he spent 6mo on the phone with them about to blow. Ended up getting $400, bought another Ghia and went through different old VW’s and all the same. Paint, meh, mechanicals perfect. Could park 2” away from another car and nothing would happen. Bought a brand new Rabbit with a sunroof, stylin’, perfect. Everywhere I went some fool would ding it. I parked out in the middle of an empty parking lot, came back and had this huge dent in the quarter panel right behind the drivers side front wheel! Like somebody pulled up, opened their tunaboat door, smacked it, and drove off! There was nobody next to the car!! DOH!

I learned my lesson I LOVE beautiful stuff, probably too much. But paint doesn’t get the job done while good mechanicals do. If the paint is good or not, I keep it clean and functional. If I make something I almost never paint it as no matter what it is, if I made it, it’s never done and I’ll just feel crazed I have to mess up my wasted paint job. Don’t like rust and all my machines are treated with FluidFilm and covered when not in use. Live close to the ocean and rust don’t sleep.

Back