Painting equipment or tools

My Atlas:

View attachment 433134

My bench mill is less than a year old, so it still sports it's factory paint job.

I prefer painted and clean. I find them much nicer to use and it inspires me to keep it that way, so I tend to clean a lot more often once the job is done.

Clean tools are happy tools.

Different strokes for different folks....
Your lathe looks great. My first lathe was a Atlas 618. I did the same with mine. Stripped it down to bare metal, polished every thing and painted it, At that time I was able to get the parts I needed. One being the on/off switch. Still have the lantern, face plate, Atlas 3 jaw chuck and a cross feed handle. Sold it many years ago. I learned a lot with that lathe. Your bed looks to be longer though. I do still do take care and clean my equipment but I do like the natural steel look. As for the machines now everything is Patina Patina Patina. The only problem is patina doesn't bring the price down when buying anything these days.

problem is patina doesn't bring the price down when buying anything these days.
Because of that word, patina. Used to be rough, wore out, messed up. Now it’s patina. I am more alarmed by a fresh paint job than patina. And especially don’t like no oil anywhere. Never bought a car with fresh paint or a steam cleaned engine. Screams they are hiding something to me.

Your lathe looks great. My first lathe was a Atlas 618. I did the same with mine. Stripped it down to bare metal, polished every thing and painted it, At that time I was able to get the parts I needed. One being the on/off switch. Still have the lantern, face plate, Atlas 3 jaw chuck and a cross feed handle. Sold it many years ago. I learned a lot with that lathe. Your bed looks to be longer though. I do still do take care and clean my equipment but I do like the natural steel look. As for the machines now everything is Patina Patina Patina. The only problem is patina doesn't bring the price down when buying anything these days.
TH42, so roughly 36" between centers.

Because of that word, patina. Used to be rough, wore out, messed up. Now it’s patina. I am more alarmed by a fresh paint job than patina. And especially don’t like no oil anywhere. Never bought a car with fresh paint or a steam cleaned engine. Screams they are hiding something to me.
Me too. I can't stand it when they say "patina" on show cars.

It's rust.

R-U-S-T!!!!

Everyone is trying to "church it up" by calling it "patina", but it's still worn out and rusted.

Same with guys painting things primer. There was a time when hot rods were primer because they guy building it sunk all his money into mechanical stuff to go faster and primer was just cheap and convenient. No money left for paint.

Now, a-holes with too much bloody money are trying to replicate that by having other people build their cars and spray it with "primer". Or. spend mega bucks on paint to make it look like "patina".

When I walk through a car show and see something in primer, one look at the "builder" and you can tell if he actually built it or bought it. Or I strike up a convo and they say they built it but they're a doctor or lawyer and are heading off to their summer home next month. Yeah, riiiiight.....totally believable.....

I feel the same about "pre-ripped" jeans. WTF is that all about? I buy new jeans and get torqued when I get the first rip in them. I've even seen the "pre-ripped" jeans cost more than a regular pair of jeans. How ridiculous is that?

It's like everyone WANTS to look like a scumbag/manchild these days, I just don't get it.

Posers, every one of them. Drives me nuts.

But, I usually keep quite and acknowledge everyone has a right to live their life, their way (as long as not breaking laws).

Of course, that doesn’t mean the voice in my head isn’t screaming “look at that tard!”…

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone else feels this way. Iv'e always been a fanatic with my tools and machines. To the point were I almost hated getting them dirty. So now when I make something I leave it in unpainted so it doesn't got scratched or nicked and occasionally wipe it down with WD40 to control rust. One less thing to worry about. Anyone feel this way?.
When it comes to painting, I’m of two different minds. If you use your machine professionally, then it may not be worth the effort. There was a time when I would have been in this camp. On the other hand if time is your own, you’re the only one using the machine in a home shop setting and take some precautions and care, they can remain nice for quite a while.

As far as paint hiding things, I agree with this but maybe it’s more of paint misrepresenting things. For example, there are a lot of Bridgeports that are repainted and a couple of parts changed, and it’s a rebuild, right? I actually think that painting as part of a restoration or rebuild when it is done well is very revealing especially if you know what you are looking at or looking for – kind of a “nowhere to hide” situation.

I can’t imagine a restoration or rebuild on something like a 10EE or Rivett that I wouldn’t take the time to repaint them. But on the flipside, there are new machines that will never be worth rebuilding or repainting. So, I guess my answer is – it depends.

My machines are there to work, not be art objects. I would rather put the effort into adding or improving functionality than making them look pretty. That first scratch on a new paint job is the hardest one to deal with.

One of these trucks gets driven. The other just sits there getting flat spots on the tires. Which type are you?

DM4032.jpgturbotruck2.jpg

My machines are there to work, not be art objects. I would rather put the effort into adding or improving functionality than making them look pretty. That first scratch on a new paint job is the hardest one to deal with.
It's always that first scratch. Once that's established you now can use it for it's intended purpose.

Back