Painting equipment or tools

I'm in the camp of those that see the machines as tools to be used, not garage (shop) queens that get polished on a weekly basis and are there to impress guests. Over the years I've acquired a couple dozen machines some needed paint, some didn't. If you use them to any extent, they're bound to get dirty and have a few scratches. I don't want to live in fear that the next time I use a machine might be the time it gets a scratch.

Metal working is inherently a dirty profession or hobby. You can't control the trajectory of every piece of swarf, or every drop of cutting oil or coolant. Machines are bound to get dirty, and even scratched if you use them to any extent. I do try to keep them reasonably clean and well maintained, but I'm not going to disassemble a well running machine just to give it a coat of paint.

I make the assessment as to whether or not it needs paint at the time of purchase. If I have to disassemble it for repairs, I might repaint it as part of the process. If it only needs a good cleaning and minor repairs, it's likely not going to get painted. An example of cleanup without paint would be the Racine power hacksaw. Even though it was completely disassembled for cleaning and transport I didn't feel a fresh coat of paint would improve its performance or increase its longevity.

The opposite side of that coin is the Baileigh cold saw. When I got it, it was a mess. It had to be disassembled for transport, cleaning, and repairs. Many of the components had seized due to lack of lubrication, dried coolant, piled up swarf, and general neglect. Since the machine would be bathed in coolant with each use a coat of paint seemed appropriate to minimize rust. Both machines are used regularly. They both run well and are accurate. I don't feel either needs any additional bling.

I don't have any "before" pictures of the Racine saw, but here are a couple as it sits today in the shop. The pictures of the Baileigh show the before and after differences.

Attachments

• DSC09971A.jpg
    DSC09971A.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC09972A.jpg
    DSC09972A.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I'm in the camp of those that see the machines as tools to be used, not garage (shop) queens that get polished on a weekly basis and are there to impress guests. Over the years I've acquired a couple dozen machines some needed paint, some didn't. If you use them to any extent, they're bound to get dirty and have a few scratches. I don't want to live in fear that the next time I use a machine might be the time it gets a scratch.

Metal working is inherently a dirty profession or hobby. You can't control the trajectory of every piece of swarf, or every drop of cutting oil or coolant. Machines are bound to get dirty, and even scratched if you use them to any extent. I do try to keep them reasonably clean and well maintained, but I'm not going to disassemble a well running machine just to give it a coat of paint.

I make the assessment as to whether or not it needs paint at the time of purchase. If I have to disassemble it for repairs, I might repaint it as part of the process. If it only needs a good cleaning and minor repairs, it's likely not going to get painted. An example of cleanup without paint would be the Racine power hacksaw. Even though it was completely disassembled for cleaning and transport I didn't feel a fresh coat of paint would improve its performance or increase its longevity.

The opposite side of that coin is the Baileigh cold saw. When I got it, it was a mess. It had to be disassembled for transport, cleaning, and repairs. Many of the components had seized due to lack of lubrication, dried coolant, piled up swarf, and general neglect. Since the machine would be bathed in coolant with each use a coat of paint seemed appropriate to minimize rust. Both machines are used regularly. They both run well and are accurate. I don't feel either needs any additional bling.

I don't have any "before" pictures of the Racine saw, but here are a couple as it sits today in the shop. The pictures of the Baileigh show the before and after differences.
I do the same owith my machines. My Bridgeport is as when built and I would never paint it. My Nichole horizontal mill has it's original finish as is my Famco 612 saw, Porter Cable 4x54 belt sander, lathe. All my welders are as well. The only thing that I do now is not paint any of my stands or tables. I only paint any tools that I rebuilt. Nice job on the Baileigh.

I try to keep the original paint intact, but if it chips (or falls off) i don't bother to re-paint, just protect the surface in one way or another. Here's a recent post on another thread that describes what I do to ward off rust.

Brush on hammerite paint does a great job .a good shine

Back