Oxy/acetylene rig

There's a place like that near me, Barrel Hamel. They do exactly that.
One thing i need to consider is that if the tanks are not refillable then I've basically bought an expensive used torch set.
Yep.

DavidR8
Check TSC Stores they have the Hobart set for around $450. I bought that set last year. Princess auto now carries a similar torch but I think its their own brand Power Fist. Chineeseium.
Hobart has a 3 year warranty.
When I was working all we had was the Victor torch style thru out the whole company. Great product. Since your a hobbyist you probably won't abuse it like we did. There were well over 300 mechanics using that Victor style.

@DavidR8, I can't visit your foreign sites from this computer, but I can recommend the Victor. Same reason as ever, you can go get parts for your old Victor setup at your local welding store, but Sears isn't offering support any longer. Makes the decision a no-brainer.

You really ought to get on the web and check out the Ca DOT laws and whatever else covers compressed gas cylinders and ownership where you live. I've heard a few horror stories about not being able to get tanks filled, and am left to wonder what the deal is. I own a pallet of CGCs and fill through Praxair (in California, Nevada, and Washington). Sometimes I pay for expired hydrostatic testing, sometimes I don't get charged. I think I'm ahead on expired hydro overall. All of my tanks are clean and fresh, so I've never dropped a lump of caca on the counter and demanded a fill, which is why, I'm assuming, I've never been told no. I bet that has something to do with it. I hope folks can post the different (backwards) rules that different jurisdictions have on compressed gas cylinders here so that I don't look bad for not understanding why it is a difficult issue (I'm not saying it isn't).

DavidR8
Check TSC Stores they have the Hobart set for around $450. I bought that set last year. Princess auto now carries a similar torch but I think its their own brand Power Fist. Chineeseium.
Hobart has a 3 year warranty.
When I was working all we had was the Victor torch style thru out the whole company. Great product. Since your a hobbyist you probably won't abuse it like we did. There were well over 300 mechanics using that Victor style.
KMS has a Victor Medalist 250 set for 399, Harris 801 set for 379 and PowerWeld for 229.
Princess Auto has "Victor-style" for 219

Stick to new, at least you know the cylinders have passed a hydro test, and can be exchanged. If their out of date, the filler will want to test them. You'll have pay for the test, if they pass, your good to go, if they fail you'll have to but new cylinders.

I’m pretty certain Victor has different levels of quality these days.

Best bet would be to buy an older Victor set in good cosmetic condition. Worst case scenario you send them out for rebuild and end up with a quality set for life.

My stuff is all Air Liquide

8a73b2673be83b3e03eaef9478afed25.jpg

6d65b089e5e028a427d6a8b0f6c6be4d.plist

Last edited:
Just talked to Barry Hamel and they just got rid of all their used torches :(
But I have found a used set of Victor torches and regs for $250.
An 80 cu ft O2 and 40 cu ft fuel bottles from Barry Hamel would run $400.

Just talked to Barry Hamel and they just got rid of all their used torches :(
But I have found a used set of Victor torches and regs for $250.
An 80 cu ft O2 and 40 cu ft fuel bottles from Barry Hamel would run $400.

I have an O2 bottle for you that apparently Barry Hammel will exchange. Probably a 110cu ft

then in my opinion you are better off going to your local welding store and buy the biggest size tanks from them that you can own, and when you run out, drive there and give the empty ones back and get a full one, that's all there is to it. if you don't want to ever run out of either gases, get a spare tank(s)later.

This is excellent advice.

If you're a hobbyist and have to have gas welding capability RIGHT NOW then buying a new setup with tanks is one route. If you can wait for something to turn up on craigslist or a garage sale then waiting is a good option and be sure the tanks are customer owned as described above.

The only time you run out of gas is Saturday afternoon after the LWS closes and it is an urgent job. DAMHIKT. Once you have a torch and a set of tanks you can take your time acquiring a spare set of tanks from garage sales, craigslist, etc.

Once you have a set the 'right price' one will show up. I got one nice complete set at a garage sale (Victor torches, customer owned tanks and all accessories) for $80. Yes, I stole it. Not embarrassed at all, seller didn't want/need and was only asking $50.

Also, bear in mind that the LWS will usually exchange a same size bottle for another same size bottle of another gas, so if you don't need two argons but want an extra oxygen you can usually exchange for just the difference in gas price. A bottle is a bottle to them.

YMMV and all that

Stu

The Victor set looks old. There doesn't seem to be flashback arrestors on the torch. That does not mean avoid. It just means that they are not current, and you'll have to be more careful. I am paranoid. If there is a tiny flicker of side flame, I will clean or replace my tips. If there is any popping, I will increase the flame size, back off the metal, or quit. You just have to be super careful without the PPE. Those are Prostar regulators, which our LWS says are private label (for Praxair) Victor. The second set looks like Craftsman. They are rebranded Smith, which was well regarded with a lifetime warranty. Times have changed, and fellow blacksmiths tell me that not only do they not honor the warranty anymore, there are no longer replacement parts. Victor torches have replacement parts. My OA torch is an import clone. It is flimsy, only came with one tip (no replacements available) and when it dies (soon), I expect to replace it with something decent. In my defense, an estate sale dealer came and twisted my arm to buy it. Offering it to me for $25 helped (tanks included). Listen to the other guys: watch out for printed or ground neck ring. Clean ring on an owner tank is good news.

Most of my work is done with oxy-propane. Hey, I can't help it, I'm a blacksmith. I know, I know, welding store salesmen always tell you that oxy-propane wastes oxygen, but so do a lot of salesmen :D. Just having to worry about an oxygen tank saves a lot of hassle. People always say you cannot weld without acetylene. Technically, that is correct, but the more precise statement is that you cannot gas weld steel without oxy-acetylene. I recall you have an arc welder, which is arguably a superior process. Also, you can weld brass, copper (although it is very hot short), and cast iron with oxy-propane. Also, you can forge weld either with a forge or with oxy-propane.

Back