OT - Storing PVC/ABS Cement

This is a three part thread.
1) When it comes to PVC/ABS cement, plastic wood, and wood glues. I buy the smallest containers that will do the job. Trying to save them after several months or even weeks is fruitless. Although I've been able to keep wood glues longer by squishing the plastic bottle till there is no air and then capping.
2) I suppose one could buy two containers and save the unopen one for later. Admittedly, I have not tried that one yet, since the hardware store is only 15 minutes away. There's also a problem with shelf life, what is it? However, just write on the container the date you bought it.
3) This is sort of related. Once found a crack in an ABS connector in the plumbing. It was just enough so there was a slight seepage. It was an odd type of pipe fixture and in a nasty place. To cut out and replace would take maybe a couple of days and be expensive. I cut a vee in the crack and filled it with a layer of cement. Let it cure and repeat. Until it reached the full thickness, just like welding thick steel. Been several years ago. still looks ugly, but it has never leaked.
I did similar at my sons. A black abs waste pipe, it was leaking at the joint. I took a sharp pointed 10 or 16 penny nail, filed it flat on one side and began to take some of the old glue and abs out of the joint. Then I hit it with glue a couple of times. Then for good measure when I was sure it was solid and not leaking, I capped it with the self sealing stretch and seal self fusing silicone sealing tape as double insurance. Nothing leaking in about 5 years.

Wipe the glue off the neck threads, put the top on and invert the can for 30 seconds. I store the can right side up. My sons are plumbers. I didn't even know this was a problem.

I'm tired of having to buy a new can every time I need some. Has anyone found a method of storage that works? I'm thinking maybe keep the can in a Mason jar, but I'm hoping someone has already found the answer.
Had a friend once told me to store the cans upside down to stop air incursion and I find that works very well, I just used some a month or sop ago that I have had for several years.

When i worked in the Chemistry lab, we would wrap parafilm around the flask/stopper to prevent gas exchange. The stuff is a bit expensive but I bought a roll for civilian use (epoxy, gasket maker, etc.)-comes in handy.

Back