OT - Storing PVC/ABS Cement

Good idea with the foil. Need to make sure there are no creases and it's smooth, but should form a metal to glass seal with the seal pressing it into place. Wasn't sure of the hardening mechanism, if was simply solvent evaporation or not.

My RTV tubes always seem to harden in the neck, by the cap, once the metal seal has been broken. Sometimes I can save them, sometimes they stiffen enough that it just isn't worth it. I had some red O2 safe high temp RTV that I used to seal a stubborn turbo exhaust system and there was some left over. But when I tried to use it again, it was no good. Cost me a week, because I had to order some more, since it wasn't locally stocked. Think I eventually redid parts of the exhaust by cutting off the too thin flanges and TIG welding on stainless flanges and using special clamps to hold the flanges together. That held up well, never leaked again and is easy to take apart if required.
For PVC/ABS cement, it is simply solvent evaporation.

the old RTV cures with moisture. Storing tubes in glass containers with a silica gel desiccant will slow the process. I'm not sure what the process is for the newer RTV's like the Permatex gasket cements though.

The cyanoacrylate adhesives also cure with moisture (technically, the OH- ion). I keep them in a glass jar with desiccant once opened. Polyurethane glue is another that cures with moisture.

Maybe squirt some nitrogen into the can to displace the air? I've heard about people doing this with casting resin to increase the shelf life. Not sure where you get a small amount of pure, dry, nitrogen from to squirt into the can.

Well, I guess you've gone and spoiled my future surprise.... LOL. (that's what I thought would happen. Oh well.)

I'm tired of having to buy a new can every time I need some. Has anyone found a method of storage that works? I'm thinking maybe keep the can in a Mason jar, but I'm hoping someone has already found the answer.

I don't even try to save them any more, it's just part of the list when you pick up the pipe. Once the can is open, the clock is ticking. On the other hand, if you keep a brand new, unopened can on hand.... The clock is ticking. Just slower. Two or three years, depending on which flavor of pipe's you're gluing. And that's in a brand new, unopened can.

The trouble with finding ways to "save" the stuff, is that it doesn't "die" all at once. It's solvent evaporation. If you've got one that's partly dying, you're gonna get a joint that feels good going together, and it works some, it sticks, but there wasn't enough solvent in there to make the magic happen. And you don't know it until you have to do it again.

Smallest can they'll sell you when you're buying the pipe. If you want to try to save something, wash the cement out of the can and the brush, fill it with oil, and leave it on the end of your mill table. At least you 'might' get it clean enough to use it for that. Saving the glue is just a loosing battle.

Maybe squirt some nitrogen into the can to displace the air? I've heard about people doing this with casting resin to increase the shelf life. Not sure where you get a small amount of pure, dry, nitrogen from to squirt into the can.
argon .. Bloxygen is a can of argon if you don't have a tig setup.

I tried teflon tape and was somewhat successful. But I got sloppy as time went on, and it eventually failed. I realized I got a lot of time and also some of my glue ups where quite intense requiring a lot less concentration on the can.

I always purchase the largest container to save $$$ per oz. only to throw the entire can out next time I need it . :grin: Had to run over to my neighbor the other night at midnight when finding my newest can went to **** . Exciting night after flooding the basement twice . I found a bottle of the Loc-tite rust inhibitor down at my ex-coworkers place . Hopefully it is still good . Expensive stuff . My bottles froze out in the garage and I need some for the truck .

I have taken to buying the single-use super glue at the dollar store. Wish there was something similar for PVC/ABS cement. I'm not usually doing a a big job, just a glue joint or two. ABS from drain pipe is fun to work with.

Cost of doing business for us plumbers. Buy small cans and toss when they go bad.

Not perfect , but store the can of glue up side down. Store it with the cap facing down. You will have twice the life. Don’t know why it works , but try it. There is nothing more frustrating that to open a can of glue just to have it a solid mess.

Wrap the bottle in plastic and put it in the refrigerator.
I just checked on a jar of Oatey All Purpose I stuck in the fridge about eight years ago and it opened easily. Its no longer a flowing liquid but is soft and the unmistakable smell is still strong.
Eight years is a long time. Give it a try.

Back