Open Wheel

"This stand already feels more solid than my old commercialgrinder stand"

Bob is that post gona stay attached to the cast top, looks like a week link
hate it when a grinder lands on my big toe :eek: .
Think ied try using angle iron welded to post and bolted to the cast , may have to grind out the cast Webs a little or use spacer material, ied use two 180* apart .
Other than that should be a good grinder stand .

Last edited:
I have two bench grinders with wire wheels on them and have removed the guards from both. I HATE guards with wire wheels or buffing wheels. When using wire wheels, it's not "if" it will snatch a part from your hands, it's "when and how often". My experience has been that when a wire wheel grabs a part from my hands without guards in place, it just throws the part to the floor and it may ricochet off the back wall, but when the guard is in place, it will suck the part through the guard while trying to pull my hand with it and it usually spits the part back out at high velocity smacking my fingers before I can react quick enough to get them out of the way. I have had hundreds of wires stuck in my clothing and a few in my skin, but none of it has been of any real concern. As mentioned by Bob here, a shop apron helps a lot and ALWAYS wear a face shield with safety glasses.

Ted

My buffing center is on a roll around cart with three bolted down double wheel buffers no guards
My grinders have guards on them , flying rocks = no fun

I would suggest attach the stand to something more solid, you don't want your bench grinder moving at all when using it.Especially with the open wheel, it can grab you.

My roll around has locking wheels but I don't use them because it weighs 400# it don't move
The attachment of the post to the cast iron table in Bobs stand above looks scary , hope he's careful with that .

I would suggest attach the stand to something more solid, you don't want your bench grinder moving at all when using it.Especially with the open wheel, it can grab you.
I agree with that, te 'legs' need to be at least. as long as grinding position. Wouldn't be a big deal to weld on some more square section then attach hinges for fold out 'stabilisers'. Extra mass at base also keeps things steady. Apart from that, to original question, open wheel, 8" wire brush, full face shield. Using guard and rest, OUCH. Only time I did that (wire brushing rusty side stand for Yamaha RD250, 1978, in 1978), wire in the eye bounced off tool rest. Having a very large sweaty male nurse hold your ead steady while a doctor probes around your eye with a hypodermic needle using syringe body as handle tends to stick in your memory for some reason? :abnornal:

My roll around has locking wheels but I don't use them because it weighs 400# it don't move
The attachment of the post to the cast iron table in Bobs stand above looks scary , hope he's careful with that .

It welded more like cast steel than cast iron. Of course without a metallurgical analysis I can't convince anybody of that. LOL. The steel tube is actually wedged between the webs on the bottom of the table, and then welded up everywhere the stinger would reach. In order to break loose it would take multiple simultaneous failures.

Have you seen a commercial grinder stand? They are light weight flimsy contraptions that you have to put your foot on if you lean into the grinder even a little bit. If you bolt it to the floor with a some redheads and drill it and bolt it hard once you find your height its ok, but that doesn't work out very well in a home shop or even some production shops where space is at a premium for some projects.

Full of concrete as it is now it doesn't move unless I grab it and tilt it. Mass makes a difference. I would have liked a little more mass, but that 16" wheel off one of my 3/4 ton work trucks was the biggest one I had. Well, I do have some 17" wheels, but they are still on the trucks. LOL. It may lighten up a little as the concrete continues to cure, but it felt like about 200 lbs when I had to turn it back over after welding some rebar in the bottom and finished filling it with concrete.

A concrete filled wheel base is not a new concept. I've seen them that way in more than one garage or farm shop over the years. Most just used a large pickup truck wheel like I did. A few used larger wheels, but they were more in the way.

I'm planning a 2x72 grinder build (* because its the hot fad right now) and I'll probably use a concrete filled wheel as a base for that too. (I have three more of those wheels and wheels are cheap at the scrappers if you make nice with them.)

* Actually, as I see the 2x72s get used for more than just knife making I can see some real utility there. I know even since I got my little 1x30 bench sander I use my bench grinders a lot less than I used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen a commercial grinder stand? They are light weight flimsy contraptions
Bob, i've seen lots of designs and the commercial grinder stand are garbage in my opinion, i fully agree that mass makes a difference, that's why good commercial grinder stand are made from cast iron, my suggestion is couple of bolts in the floor or in the wall for added security, or some launching if you like too move it around, this is my setup, i really shouldn't keep it this close to my lathe because of the grinding dust but my machine shop is so small its only place i have, i also put couple of shelves underneath for tools.
DSC_0012.JPG

16"~17" wheel filled with concrete makes a great grinder stand in my opinion. Gives you somewhere to put your foot as well. If your pushing so hard it's moving about, your pushing too hard for grinding anyway. The only 'improvement' I've ever seen was to put 1" airline around bottom edge (when I worked with 'medium sized-80~600SCFM) compressors it was very common to find blown out airlines. No idea how it was fixed on, maybe some welding wire before concrete?

I don't do any grinding in the room where my bigger lathe is, but I still throw a plastic shower curtain over it when I am not using it.

Back