Open Wheel

R

Robert LaLonde

Forum Guest
Register Today
I recently picked up a second cheap import bench grinder. The plan is to take my slightly newer old import bench grinder and throw a couple brushes on it using the new to me older import bench grinder for tool grinding. I've made spacers for one wire wheel already and installed it, but have not replaced the outer wheel cover. The even spaced out 3/16 of an inch the wire brushes the inner cover a little bit. I'm debating removing the inner cover as well and running the wire brushes open wheel. That bothers me. I know it probably shouldn't, but it does. Other than throwing wires in unexpected directions when the brush wears out what other issues are there?

The other part of the plan is to make the table on my bench grinder stand longer, and mount the two grinders back to back with some space in between. I've got an extra cast iron table saw leaf that should do nicely.

Remember the first rule, you can't just explain stuff, you have to provide photographic evidence.
And the second rule is the same as the first.;)

I recently picked up a second cheap import bench grinder. The plan is to take my slightly newer old import bench grinder and throw a couple brushes on it using the new to me older import bench grinder for tool grinding. I've made spacers for one wire wheel already and installed it, but have not replaced the outer wheel cover. The even spaced out 3/16 of an inch the wire brushes the inner cover a little bit. I'm debating removing the inner cover as well and running the wire brushes open wheel. That bothers me. I know it probably shouldn't, but it does. Other than throwing wires in unexpected directions when the brush wears out what other issues are there?

The other part of the plan is to make the table on my bench grinder stand longer, and mount the two grinders back to back with some space in between. I've got an extra cast iron table saw leaf that should do nicely.
I have a grinder with brushes on it, and I leave the guards on it until they need to come off to get to the work, then take them off and work even more carefully. After brushing the difficult areas I put the guards right back on. The more brush exposed, the more danger, to parts and to flesh and eyes...

I agree with Bob. I was using a wire brush on my grinder (with all covers on) and one of those pesky little wires came of and still managed to hit my wife who was ~7' away and off to the side in the garage. I don't even want to think about the carnage an uncovered 8" wire brush could cause in it's normal "sheading" process during use! Just my $0.02 worth.

I have had many wires off wheels stuck in my apron. Glad I was wearing it, and full goggles, not just safety glasses.

I have had many wires off wheels stuck in my apron. Glad I was wearing it, and full goggles, not just safety glasses.
They are savage! I've had my fair share of wire in my arms, hands ect.. I find them in my cloths days later!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Other than throwing wires in unexpected directions when the brush wears out what other issues are there?

1) It'll grab any cloth (long sleeves, gloves, etc.) and wind them in quick with no guard to jam against and slow/stop the wheel.
(of course those things are a hazard anyway.....it just makes it worse.)
2) It'll grab a corner of a part and throw it hard in an unpredictable direction (down, back, up)

Now with that said, I do run a wire wheel on a bench grinder without guards....but I respect the inherent danger.

and full goggles, not just safety glasses.

I would go one step better and say full face shield _AND_ safety glasses/goggles with side protection.
I've had a wire in my lip, and heard a story here about one up someones nose.....that's gotta hurt!

-brino

I would go one step better and say full face shield _AND_ safety glasses/goggles with side protection.
I've had a wire in my lip, and heard a story here about one up someones nose.....that's gotta hurt!

-brino
I have done the both goggles and visor thing at times, but then I get to asking myself if perhaps I am trying something I should not be trying, and I regroup, but often do end up wearing the double eye protection. Actually triple, I wear polycarbonate prescription glasses as well. It definitely reduces my vision for seeing the work, but then so do sharp needles in your eyes, long term...

Back