Open Wheel

Well, I decided to go open wheel. I am sure I'll catch flack for it, but I work by myself in the shop all day, and I can easily hang one of my face shields over the wheel so I have to pick it up to turn on the grinder. I already use one when using the angle grinders anyway, so its no big deal. I keep several around the shop in places where I use them. Just like I keep safety glasses hanging off the side of the enclosure for my big (for me) mill. I don't have any leather aprons, and I definitely do not wear long sleeves or a coat in the shop, but I do have full length denim aprons I wear when I remember to.

I have two steel wire wheels, a 6" fine and a 4" very fine (.006 wire) mounted on a 1/2 hp motor, which I use all the time--mostly for rust removal and cleaning off steel parts and tools. I have a rule for myself that the motor NEVER gets switched on if I'm not wearing the full face shield (plus my regular glasses) which hangs above it. I also try not to stand directly in front of it. These rules really apply for any wire wheel, enclosed or not. Aside from the occasional wire in my apron or shirt I don't think there's any problem. The very fine wheel is great because it will remove thin oxides and dirt but doesn't noticeably scratch steel.

Bill

I have two wire wheels also, both 6". They are mounted on an old bench grinder arbor, which is connected to the motor via a v-belt. The arbor and motor are mounted to a piece of 3/4" plywood that is suspended beneath my bench out in the garage. The two wheels are unguarded, but are covered by the bench top, partially guarding them at least. I've been using them that way for over twenty years, never a bit of trouble, but like others have said, you have to respect those wire wheels and take a very serious and careful approach when working with them.

This 8 inch grinder and 8 inch wire wheel works well for me.

wire_wheel_grinderaa.jpg

Charl

Another open wheel...

See it really happened. ~PICTURES~ This stand already feels more solid than my old commercial grinder stand. Once I get that "open wheel" filled with concrete I won't want to move it but once. I decided that the base wasn't big enough or heavy enough on my old grinder stand, so I decided to make a whole new one instead.

Nothing is bolted down yet. I'll probably use my old grinder stand for my little 1x30 belt grinder to get it off the work bench.

1_17_09_17_3_44_42.jpeg

1_17_09_17_3_45_03.jpeg

1_17_09_17_3_45_22.jpeg

1_17_09_17_3_45_46.jpeg

Just poured about 100lbs of Quick-Crete into that wheel.

I have had many wires off wheels stuck in my apron. Glad I was wearing it, and full goggles, not just safety glasses.
An apron, thanks for the tip. I have carried wire from the wire wheel into my house, getting the carpet and they having to pick it out of my foot. A dedicated apron should help tremendously. Thanks again.

Back