Old, Unique or New

re. that cylinder square it is only part of a complete squareness measurement system. I designed one and helped develop a prototype for a metrology company I worked for but I'm sure ther were others on the market . It looked similar to a height gage but the front edge of the base had a compound radius.Attached to the base was a vertical column with a .0001"dial indicator which was adjustable for height and it read horizontally as opposed to vertically as in most dial indicator applications. You would adjust the height of the indicator according to your application, then rolling the base with the compound radius against the bottom of the cylinder would set the indicator to zero, then transfer to your workpice and then read the difference. I don't belive they sold a lot of them and I don't know if they are sill offered.
Ron

I just made an attachment for my surface gage to accomplish this. I have an 0.0005" indicator in the photo, but I have lots of 0.0001" to choose from.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/10131-Shop-Made-Measuring-Tools?p=84110&viewfull=1#post84110

Last edited:
Here is a little gem I acquired at a tool sale. It's a Pratt & Whitney machine level and it's pretty much brand new in its mahogany box. The level is 15" long and accurate to .0005" per foot.

Tom

001_2.JPG

001_2.JPG

I have a Starrett 98-12 Machinist Level, but I covet those 15" Precision Levels. I don't really need one, but that's a different story.

Nothing fancy :)) Here is a wood and brass ruler I found in the bottom of a box at an auction. I would love to clean up the wood but I am afraid of destroying the markings.

Ruler1.JPGRuler2.JPG

Ruler1.JPG Ruler2.JPG

Actually, it has more value in the condition that it is in now.. if you clean up the patina on the brass, you will have destroyed the value greatly.

OK time to get back in the game so to speak. In my model engine work the Bench Centers are a must. I have checked thousands of crankshafts with these.

"Billy G" :whistle:

bc (750 x 563).jpg

Back