[Source] Old Lathe Name Plate restoration - printing.

The fotofoil type process does not leave an edge that can be felt, you are just etching enough to remove the black anodizing, not actually etching into the aluminum.

On a PCB you are romoving .001 to .003 of copper, you will feel that much of an edge.

The fotofoil type process does not leave an edge that can be felt, you are just etching enough to remove the black anodizing, not actually etching into the aluminum.

On a PCB you are romoving .001 to .003 of copper, you will feel that much of an edge.
I just found oil leaks from the gear change handles after removing the data plate, You may be right on the money with the Fotofoil, My data plate makes the lathe look worse than it is, and needs to be fixed, along with a half dozen other issues Ive found while cleaning it up for first use...

At this point I'm kinda getting depressed because the time frame before I get to use it is growing bigger each weekend I work on it, and I keep finding new issues. So Ill have to send out or buy at this point what I can to speed up the process. I will admit the lathe is coming along nicely and looking much better so my hard work is paying off.

I just got a great idea... lol How about I send you my Data plate and you fix it up nice for me... And I pay you and later learn how to do Fotofoil my self... Just kidding. thanks for your help I'm just getting depressed.

Thanks for talking, Mr Mike.

The depression will go away when you start making chips. None of the problems you have found so far will keep it from operating regardless of how it looks....

John

The depression will go away when you start making chips. None of the problems you have found so far will keep it from operating regardless of how it looks....

John
Lol just having you egg me on to get busy making chips, telling me that, Wait... Post a photo of your lathe would you.

Note: I don't even have the leadscrew, control or cross feed rod (leaning against the wall behind) installed yet. This machine fell on it's face before I got it so I'm bringing it back to life. Having it operational, even if not completely, is critical to that plan as I'll use it to make the parts needed for repair.

I might be a little strange but building, repairing and refurbishing machines is actually the most fun part for me. Here's the die filer I fixed up earlier this year being used to cut the keyway in the handwheel today.

IMG_8929.jpg

That's a coldsaw I rebuilt in the background....

It's truly a sickness :grin:

John

Note: I don't even have the leadscrew, control or cross feed rod (leaning against the wall behind) installed yet. This machine fell on it's face before I got it so I'm bringing it back to life. Having it operational, even if not completely, is critical to that plan as I'll use it to make the parts needed for repair.

I might be a little strange but building, repairing and refurbishing machines is actually the most fun part for me. Here's the die filer I fixed up earlier this year being used to cut the keyway in the handwheel today.

View attachment 336880

That's a coldsaw I rebuilt in the background....

It's truly a sickness :grin:

John

Very Nice... Ya I remember you saying your in the middle of rebuilding a lathe that had an accident with the previous owner... I am right there with ya on the fixing machines, I love it.

Your using a busted machine to repair its self... A++ you rock. that's one for the books right there..!

Thanks for sharing Sir.

I knew seeing that would fix me up, thanks. Mr Mike.

Back