[Source] Old Lathe Name Plate restoration - printing.

Mr Mike

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am trying to spruce up my lathe a bit.. And I am hoping to get help finding a source to reprint the Head plate on the lathe. I am currently doing a full tear-down & clean up on a used lathe I just got a couple weeks ago..

This is the Enco 12" X 36" 110-2075 photo heavy thread for it.

The Information plate is in pretty bad shape compared to the lathe so I would like to get it restored if possible... Thanks for the help.

Lathe Info Plate.jpg

The data plate was most likely silk screen printed originally. If you wanted to pursue it, it would be feasible in the home shop to reproduce. You'd need to inquire about an ink that is resistant to oil and repeated contact. Other possibility would be creating the data plate on your computer and having it printed on vinyl by a decal shop. That would probably look nice. I think Plan C is a Sharpie.

Hello Sir...
I was thinking about re creating it on my pc then getting it printed on vinyl... I think that is my last option. And I am not quite ready to learn how to screen print at home. so many projects going on...

I was hoping I could send it off to a known company that specializes in this type of work...?

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, screen printing is a little involved for a one-off project. It's not particularly expensive, just takes a lot of steps and space. I think a vinyl overlay would look nice, cost less, and be durable enough.

I don't know of anyone that specializes in dataplates. It seems like something that people take as a project for their own needs, then run a bunch of extras because of the economy of scale. There may be a market in concours auto restoration, but I don't really play with those kids because of the cost of admission. Maybe there's an undiscovered niche for Mr Mike's dataplate reproduction company.

Edit- oh, gee- I totally overlooked laser engraving. You can get one-off work done that way. That sounds like a good option.

I am betting that that original plate is FotoFoil. The small text in the warning area is to fine for screening and way to small for vinyl. The red caution area could have been screen printed on. Fotofoil is an aluminum sheet that is black (or any color) anodized, and then a photo sensitive coating is applied, You use a contact process with a light source, (bright sunlight work great) to expose the sheet and then the "picture" is developed and the plate put into a etchant to remove the anodizing and expose the bare aluminum below. Fotofoil is available in up to .032 thickness you could then hand stamp in the DATE just like the original.

Then if you really want it to last, take it to an auto body shop and get it clear coated. Because it is so small they might even do it for near free as they have more clear than this left over from every job, as long as you are not in a hurry and they can fit it in when they have the oppertunity.

Years ago, when I made legend panels for instrumentation I used a very durable process. I would start with an aluminum panel which had been anodized black. I would coat it with Kodak KPR-4 photosensitive resist. It would have a negative image put on top of the plate, and a sheet of glass put on the negative (sandwiching the negative between the glass and the anodized aluminum plate). I would expose it to high intensity light, which would cause the KPR-4 photo resist to "set". The coated plate would then by washed in a KPR-4 specific developer (largely Xylene). This would cause the parts of the KPR-4 resist not exposed to light (the parts on the negative which were black) to wash away, which removed the protective coating from the anodized surfaces in that area. Then the entire plate was dropped in Sodium Hydroxide (which selectively etched the black anodized surface away). This would give you silver lettering on a black background (or black letters with a silver background as needed). You can fill etched-away lettering with RED paint if you wish. I would usually re-coat the panel with a sealer, but it was not strictly needed.

Some of the panels which were made 50 years ago, are still pristine looking today, as anodized coatings are knife-blade hard.

or,

As others have said, once you have good artwork on a negative, you can use photo-sensitive silk-screen panels, and do a similar process, but with silk screening. But, I always found anodized letters more durable than any paint, even epoxy paint.

Vonindustrial.com does nameplate restoration. From looking at his web site they do beautiful work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent.. I going to call and get a quote. Thank you..

Back