Oil question

This is the difference between lubricating oil and hydraulic oil. As I have stated previously, they are NOT the same.

Mobil DTE Oil Light (Premium Performance Circulating Lubricants)

Mobil DTE 24 (Hydraulic Oil)
obviously not a good reader. Amazing. But you are trying to prove you are right.. and I am not going to let you have it.
Read the product sheets.. I won't be seeing your responses.. IGNORE

Being in this business through the rough years I have used generic hydraulic oil in headstocks, gearboxes and much more.
I have it found it specified by many manufactures in aprons and slides where it performed as a gearbox lubricant as well as a way lube, many of the same machines use it in the headstock.
I don't believe that a hobby user would ever know the difference, I never had a problem with using it.
I have seen problems using way oil in some hydraulic systems, apparently due to the tactifier
This is exactly right.
For anyone that has never worked on a hydraulic pump, most of them a gear pumps. They consist of two or more metal gears, metal roller bearings, often they have bronze bushings instead of bearings, and rubber seals.
The headstock of my Clausing used to get almost hot when running at high speeds. I changed the oil to ISO 68 that I got from Tractor Supply and now it barely ever gets warm.
16506391871116983383191657689280.jpg

This is the difference between lubricating oil and hydraulic oil. As I have stated previously, they are NOT the same.

Mobil DTE Oil Light (Premium Performance Circulating Lubricants)

Mobil DTE 24 (Hydraulic Oil)
[edited by mod]

The 20 series was developed as a dual replacement for both hydraulic oils and lubricating oils. They were going to discontinue the light/medium/heavy oils and just have the 20 series.

I don't know of a single CNC machine manufacture made since the early 90's that doesn't call out DTE 24 or DTE 25 in the Gear boxes. The older machine, the mobile Rep will tell you that its ok to sub DTE 24 for mobile DTE oil light.

Other brands, which are very similar specs(if not the same) as DTE 26, know as universal tractor oils, are both a hydraulic, and a lubrication oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please explain.
Most motor oils have a detergent additive that keeps contaminates suspended so the oil filter can remove them. Most lathes have a sump lubrication, ie. the gears and bearings run in a pool of oil that gets splashed onto the gears and bearings. In a sump, you want the contaminates to settle out so that they do not get deposited on the gears or bearings and cause more wear.

If you have the right amount of the right spec oil, and change it periodically you will be fine. The spec of the oil does not include what the manufacturer names it, it's an international standard designed to make sure products are what they claim. ISO works very hard to make sure products which claim to meet their standards actually do.

If you want to make your decisions based on manufacturers marketing materials go right ahead. It's your money....

John

@Road_Clam it is incorrect to use motor oil in a gearbox because:

motor oil contains detergent and other additives the suspend wear particles in the oil. It requires the oil to be moving all the time towards a filter to filter out those particles. If you don't have the filter and circulating pump, then the particles stay in contact with the gears, increasing wear.

Motor oil is expected to be changed regularly - in some cases measured in a limited number of months. Gear oil in a headstock is expected to last many years. The detergents in the oil (and perhaps some of the other additives) have the side effect of allowing moisture to be absorbed into the oil. If allowed to continue a lot longer than the service life of the oil, it can result in breakdown of the oil and ultimately promoting corrosion.

@Road_Clam it is incorrect to use motor oil in a gearbox because:

motor oil contains detergent and other additives the suspend wear particles in the oil. It requires the oil to be moving all the time towards a filter to filter out those particles. If you don't have the filter and circulating pump, then the particles stay in contact with the gears, increasing wear.

Motor oil is expected to be changed regularly - in some cases measured in a limited number of months. Gear oil in a headstock is expected to last many years. The detergents in the oil (and perhaps some of the other additives) have the side effect of allowing moisture to be absorbed into the oil. If allowed to continue a lot longer than the service life of the oil, it can result in breakdown of the oil and ultimately promoting corrosion.

You do realize that the motorcycle gearbox transmission / engine application has shared the common "motor oil" for the past 70 years ( this including dirty carbon contamination from combustion) ? I respect all feedback. I only express my opinions and experiences.

You do realize that the motorcycle gearbox transmission / engine application has shared the common "motor oil" for the past 70 years ( this including dirty carbon contamination from combustion) ? I respect all feedback. I only express my opinions and experiences.
His comments were towards gearbox like in lathe headstocks that have no filter at all. A lot of old gearbox and even motors (pre 50's) in tractors/heavy equipment even had hand covers in their oil pans/sump so you could service it by scraping the sludge/contaminates that settled out of the oil.

Most motorcycles do have filters for all the oil if they share a sump. Maybe some early ones didn't?

All wet sump engine filtration systems are "bypass" design. The bypass is a safety check valve that only filters a portion of the oil. This design is to allow pressure relief for a possibley contaminate clogged filter element and not burst the filter housing from excessive oil pressure.

Back