Oil question

The difference between Mobil DTE named and numbered lubricants is the amount of anti-wear additives. Some older equipment might not be compatible with the higher levels of AW additives that newer machines require, so that is why both are offered. Both are used for machinery lubrication.

From my “The Practical Handbook of Machinery Lubrication” published by Noria (experts in machinery lubrication):

The functions of a hydraulic oil can be summarized:
1. Transmit power from one point to another.
2. Lubricate and protect the system components from friction, wear and contamination.
3. Transfer and disperse heat generated in the system.
4. Provide a seal and maintain pressure.

Hydraulic oil’s main focus is transmitting power, a lubricating oil’s main focus is reducing friction, so depending on the application, one might be better than the other. But, hydraulic oil is excellent at reducing friction provided it is offered in the required viscosity range and is used in many types of machinery for lubrication of bearings and gearing. Just because it has characteristics that make it better at transmitting power than industrial lubricating oils does not mean it is not suitable at lubricating bearings and gears. The most important characteristic of an oil selected for anti friction applications is it’s viscosity, the other features are a distant second. In the calculations for selecting an oil for bearing lubrication, viscosity is the only characteristic used.

The industrial centrifuge manufacturer I used to work for specified Mobil DTE 26 for lubricating bearings for machines running at 3,500 rpm as well as the cycloidal gearboxes used to drive the scroll drive. It functioned very well at lubricating the components, as well as removing heat from the bearings. We switched that to SHC 626 (a circulating oil) since in the larger machines in hot environments the bearings were running around 90c and dino oil was oxidizing quickly requiring more frequent oil changes. I don’t think anyone here is running their headstocks so hard that the bearings are reaching 90C and need a circulating oil.

All this talk about the differences between the different oil classifications is splitting hairs. Very few of us here use our machines in an industrial environment where the differences might make a difference. Select an oil with the right viscosity and anti wear additives and you will probably never notice a difference between Mobil, Shell, or even Tractor Supply oil in our lifetimes.
Thinking of using the wrong lubricant in a headstock that runs at 2,000 RPM kind of illustrates how important it is to choose the correct product.
I would agree that low rpm machines would probably be ok with a quality hydraulic oil of the correct viscosity.
Interesting discussion.

+1
As I understand it, motor oil for a car engine for example, is designed to pick up and remove any grit, grime to be caught in the filter which is replaced regularly.
On machine tools, you want that grit/grime to stay in the sump or areas of the castings that will stay put and not be flushed through the bushings and bearing surfaces.
That’s the way I understand it anyway.
Let's be specific. That's Detergent motor oil. Non-Detergent drops to the bottom.
Non-Detergent is getting hard to find at the Auto stores. Walmart used to carry it, and no longer does.
Advance and Auto Zone have thinned out and you have to get it when they have it.

Let's be specific. That's Detergent motor oil. Non-Detergent drops to the bottom.
Non-Detergent is getting hard to find at the Auto stores. Walmart used to carry it, and no longer does.
Advance and Auto Zone have thinned out and you have to get it when they have it.
Yeah, you are right.
We always used non detergent in the car wash pumps and motor oil in the Honda engines.
Getting the car wash staff to get this right was always a bit of a challenge :)

+1
As I understand it, motor oil for a car engine for example, is designed to pick up and remove any grit, grime to be caught in the filter which is replaced regularly.
On machine tools, you want that grit/grime to stay in the sump or areas of the castings that will stay put and not be flushed through the bushings and bearing surfaces.
That’s the way I understand it anyway.
That is correct

You guys would be shocked to know what most machine shops use......
And industrial plants. Some of them believe every word of the snake oil salesmen until they do tens of thousands of dollars in damage to their equipment, but they saved a couple bucks on a tube of grease…

Oils carry specifications.
"Requirements"
If an oil carries the correct specifications then the cheapest wins out.
I have used Acme Refining for decades.They blend the oils to specifications including the specialty oils we ran in the Sip and Dixie Jig Bores and other spindles for half the price.
Most companies I see two oils, Hydraulic iso32, way oil Iso64
Reguardless of brand.
I never see lubrication problems caused by generic oils or incorrect oils,
It is usually contamination and lack of maintenance.

Oils carry specifications.
"Requirements"
If an oil carries the correct specifications then the cheapest wins out.
I have used Acme Refining for decades.They blend the oils to specifications including the specialty oils we ran in the Sip and Dixie Jig Bores and other spindles for half the price.
Most companies I see two oils, Hydraulic iso32, way oil Iso64
Reguardless of brand.
I never see lubrication problems caused by generic oils or incorrect oils,
It is usually contamination and lack of maintenance.
Specifications exist for a reason.

If you prefer a name brand then go with it but realize that all the major suppliers source from each other as required and put their own label on what they sell. I think if you search this topic on here you will find a member who worked for one of them and clued us in on that.

Me, I use VP tractor oil from Tractor Supply. If I wear my lathe out I'll rebuild or replace as I see fit but I doubt I ever will....

John

This is the difference between lubricating oil and hydraulic oil. As I have stated previously, they are NOT the same.

Mobil DTE Oil Light (Premium Performance Circulating Lubricants)

Mobil DTE 24 (Hydraulic Oil)

Back