Oil question

Just concerned that Tractor Supply may not carry "Mobil DTE Light" which is a turbine oil and will try to sell you an ISO 32 "hydraulic" fluid instead.

Woodchucker, Mobil DTE oil light is NOT a hydraulic oil. It is a turbine oil and is designed for bearings and gearboxes NOT hydraulic systems.

Woodchucker, Mobil DTE oil light is NOT a hydraulic oil. It is a turbine oil and is designed for bearings and gearboxes NOT hydraulic systems.
so according to the mobil web site it is a hydraulic oil, it is used for both turbine and hydraulic.
my jug says hydraulic oil... so I will argue with you. McMaster also lists it as https://www.mcmaster.com/mobil-dte-24-oil/
And so does this: https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-DTE-24...1650054392&sprefix=mobil+dte+24,aps,92&sr=8-4
so given that, you may be right... BUT I AM RIGHT TOO.

Applications​

The Mobil DTE Oil Named Series of lubricants are premium performance circulating lubricants designed for applications where long lubricant service life is required. Specific applications include:

• Land-based and marine steam turbine, hydro turbine and some gas turbine circulation systems, including pumps, valves and other ancillary equipment

• Continuous service in plain and roller bearings and parallel shaft gearing

• Turbines with oil supplied by splash, bath, ring oiling or other mechanical means

• Moderate severity hydraulic pumps

Be careful with the term "hydraulic oil", and cross referencing based on the viscosity. That is a VERY wide range of products. Kinda like every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square. You want a particular square. "Circulating Oil" is a better term to look for, as it is a more specific product. It WILL be suitable as a hydraulic oil, but that doesn't mean every hydraulic oil is suited for circulating oil. The same way that Way Oil is rated on the same exact system, but just touching your fingers on it, you can tell straight up that it's not the same as another. I use that example not because you want way oil, but because it is low hanging fruit, because the difference is one you can feel and see, yet when you look around it still seems to "cross" to hydraulic oil, even though it clearly isn't. Viscosity is just that. Viscosity. It has no indication of what else is going on in the particular product.

So long as you've got a name brand qualaity hydraulic oil it's "probably" going to be close enough. It WON'T be the cheap stuff (think "303 Fluid", even though it's on the same scale, stay outta that....) A good hydraulic oil could easily be good enough to last a lifetime in a hobby shop. Or even in a less than ideal commercial environment, like an incidental machine kept in a fabrication shop for example, where it's lifespan won't be forever. If you seek out a circulating oil, it will be exactly what you want. Provided you're close on the viscosity. Tractor Supply, as of a couple years ago when I sought out something, does not stock circulating oil, or anything that directly interchanges with it. They do stock both well rated hydraulic oils which "could" be just fine, and they stock discount stuff that's "good enough for some things but not really good for anything".

Being in this business through the rough years I have used generic hydraulic oil in headstocks, gearboxes and much more.
I have it found it specified by many manufactures in aprons and slides where it performed as a gearbox lubricant as well as a way lube, many of the same machines use it in the headstock.
I don't believe that a hobby user would ever know the difference, I never had a problem with using it.
I have seen problems using way oil in some hydraulic systems, apparently due to the tactifier

Being in this business through the rough years I have used generic hydraulic oil in headstocks, gearboxes and much more.
I have it found it specified by many manufactures in aprons and slides where it performed as a gearbox lubricant as well as a way lube, many of the same machines use it in the headstock.
I don't believe that a hobby user would ever know the difference, I never had a problem with using it.
I have seen problems using way oil in some hydraulic systems, apparently due to the tactifier
so according to the mobil web site it is a hydraulic oil, it is used for both turbine and hydraulic.
my jug says hydraulic oil... so I will argue with you. McMaster also lists it as https://www.mcmaster.com/mobil-dte-24-oil/
And so does this: https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-DTE-24-Hydraulic-Oil/dp/B06XCBZRX2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3KQXY7UPIV6XD&keywords=mobil+dte+24&qid=1650054392&sprefix=mobil+dte+24,aps,92&sr=8-4
so given that, you may be right... BUT I AM RIGHT TOO.

Applications​

The Mobil DTE Oil Named Series of lubricants are premium performance circulating lubricants designed for applications where long lubricant service life is required. Specific applications include:

• Land-based and marine steam turbine, hydro turbine and some gas turbine circulation systems, including pumps, valves and other ancillary equipment

• Continuous service in plain and roller bearings and parallel shaft gearing

• Turbines with oil supplied by splash, bath, ring oiling or other mechanical means

• Moderate severity hydraulic pumps
In commercial hydro powered mowers.. the Hydro fluid used is Mobile 1 20W-50 motor oil..

Motor oil is very bad to use in machine headstocks and such.
yes i know.. but it was only an example in jest.. since there was the mention of the broadness of the term " hydrolic oil" cuz that is what they call it when it comes to the hydros in the mowers.. the hydros is what powers the mower forward and backwards.

yes i know.. but it was only an example in jest.. since there was the mention of the broadness of the term " hydrolic oil" cuz that is what they call it when it comes to the hydros in the mowers.. the hydros is what powers the mower forward and backwards.
What is the filter change interval ?

Back