Newby lathe advice needed

visenfile

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi folks. just introduced myself. Need guidance on lathe purchase. Some constraints to help you help me.

1. I generally learn when a project arises from auto, tooling need or house maintenance. The hobby is not everyday.

2. I have considered the model size lathes (up to 9 x 20?), but a lot of the stuff I think I would do would be larger.

3. Budget can stretch to $4k delivered . I guess tooling is extra. Am not inclined to DRO. I have ample room.

4. I have just seen Enco/Grizz gun smith size (no guns here) and gap lathes 12 x 30 on special.

5. Can a newbie learn as well on a big lathe, and as safely?

6. It seems small parts can be readily made on the biggies? I have 220v.

7. I have the confidence, but not the knowledge to restore an older lathe. Thanks for your help

Not all used lathes have to be restored. I have 3 older machines in my shop that I cleaned up and put right to work almost immediately. Sure they have nicks and scratches but they're mechanically sound, which is what you want. My advice is to get something at least 12x30 size with a quick change gear box. Your budget is ample. Take a look at the PM (Precision Matthews) machines too. Ray C on this forum can help you out with the PM machines.

As far as learning goes, They're all dangerous. Don't stick your hand in the rotating parts.:))

Don't automatically discount used machines. You can get some tremendous value by purchasing a used machine, because they usually come with lots of tooling. Craigs list is your friend.

Marcel

I'm sure you'll get a wide range of answers to your query. As to your mention of "no guns here", well none here either but I purchased a G4003G gunsmithing lathe for several reasons after talking to one of the techs at Grizzly. It was pointed out to me that the spindle bore on the G lathe is larger. They come with upgraded bearings as well. I'm sure there are many lathes that would fit your needs but with 4k earmarked for the purchase that will get the lathe delivered to your door and afford you several hundred dollars left over for tooling. I've been very pleased with mine and have no regrets.

There are several here that are proponents of the Precision Matthews branded machines and speak very highly of the quality of the machines and the nice folks that market them here. Had I found this forum before I bought my Grizzly I'd probably have a blue lathe instead of a green one. :biggrin: I'm sure Ray C. will be along when he sees your OP and is much more qualified to address any questions you might have as well.

BTW, welcome to the forum. By far this is the friendliest machining forum on the net.

HAPPY MACHINING!

Last edited:
Check out the Portland Craigslist. There are quite a few lathes on there right now. My preference would be in the 12 - 14 inch range with a 30 to 40 inch bed. You can learn just as well and just as safely on a larger lathe.

I am noted for rambling on, first off can you predict you future? thats a, who knows. you spend money on a little wimpy thing? who knows
bottom line is; you just cant machine big things on a wimpy lathe. But a big lathe can do smalls. I recomend the biggest US old iron
with a quick change box, lots of 1940's stuff around & are the good stuff. So its like buy once and be done with it...look around, target
on a name with a good Us. respected name brand. you got a budget of 4 grand? that buys the best South Bend Hardinge Logan on the
planet. get the biggest long bend that can fit and swing you wont be sorrey down the road
sam

Well, I am out of the mainstream here but I think a small lathe is a nice item to have. Even if I had a big monster, I wouldn't give up my little one.

Unless you are set up with a chain fall or such, swapping out chucks is a major job on a big lathe.

When you have a big lathe smalls are hard to chuck up when the chuck won't close down that far. You have to go to collets or maybe chuck a smaller chuck in the large chuck.

Many large lathes don't put out enough rpms to do well on tiny stuff.

Of course it is not a free lunch. You also end up with two sets of tooling and accessories.

Well, am greatly pleased with the quick and friendly response...

xalky-thanks for the advice on used
drs23-thanks, I saw youtube on the G4003.
jim-thanks for the craigslist tip, neighbor. I'll look.
GK1918-thanks. I do think I need a bigger one. Still lack confidence in evaluation of old ones.

A real treat compared with other forums whose compostition seems mostly takers,not givers.:))

Check out the Portland Craigslist. There are quite a few lathes on there right now. My preference would be in the 12 - 14 inch range with a 30 to 40 inch bed. You can learn just as well and just as safely on a larger lathe.

Jim, I did look at craigslist and interesting it is. There are some lathes for sale near us and up to Seattle. But the interesting ones are close to the Enco/Grizz new price and have the caution factor of used (I don't feel confident to evaluate them). I'll keep looking though. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I am out of the mainstream here but I think a small lathe is a nice item to have. Even if I had a big monster, I wouldn't give up my little one.

Unless you are set up with a chain fall or such, swapping out chucks is a major job on a big lathe.

When you have a big lathe smalls are hard to chuck up when the chuck won't close down that far. You have to go to collets or maybe chuck a smaller chuck in the large chuck.

Many large lathes don't put out enough rpms to do well on tiny stuff.

Of course it is not a free lunch. You also end up with two sets of tooling and accessories.

David, Thanks for the comments. You are only out of mainstream in this particular request as I find many small lathe enthusiasts. You give me pause on the chuck weights. I have seen the hoists used on you tube, and although I have a cherry picker , that could get old. Wonder how much the gap bed lathe chucks weigh?

Welcome to the forum!
I am a fan of used machinery, craigslist is a gold mine if you pay attention.
I bought a 9A South Bend to start without knowing anything about metal lathes, it was in good condition, used it for a few months and decided I needed a bigger lathe. I found a 13" South Bend in even better condition, so I bought that. Sold the 9A with $300 profit.
You sound like a sharp guy, just learn what you can here and on YouTube.
Jump right in. You will be looking to buy many machines down the road, it is a sickness!
Don't be afraid of a larger machine, a chuck on a 13 SB weighs about 25 or 30 lbs.
Good luck! Larry

From a vendor website selling 3 jaw scroll chucks.

6" 17 lbs.
8" 38 lbs.
10" 52 lbs.
12" 99 lbs.
20" 295 lbs.

Even the 8" isn't a long term love affair when you twisted to lean over the bed and holding it at arms length to get it hooked up to the spindle.

Just because you *can* lift something doesn't mean you should. It also doesn't get easier as you get older. Personally, I would use at least a block and tackle over the lathe for 8" or above. If for no other reason, why risk banging it on the ways?

Back